Flat Tire

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bikerdad, Mar 23, 2010.

1. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Lost a rear tire riding home today. Doing about 50 and enjoying life when the back end got real squirrelly. Pulled it over and the rear tire was flat. I just put the tires on last year and am not looking forward to tearing the rear end apart again so soon. Oh well, it is always something, at least no injuries or damage to the bike!

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

So what happened? Puncture of some type? Do you have spoke wheels?

Glad you're OK!

3. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Got it up on the jack and found a screw puncture. I have spokes, with a tube in the rear, the new tire looks OK but I won't know how bad the tube is till I get it apart. I have a spare tube, might have to use it.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Depending on where the screw puncture is, if it is in the middle of the tread and not near or at the sidewalls, new tube and inside patch for the tire (do check the inner rim strip or replace for peripheral damage). Being as it is a new tire, should work out fine. If it were a couple years old though, I would replace the tire as aging is more than skin deep. JMO

5. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Glad you OK. Getting a flat on 2 wheels is never fun.

6. Troy1225

Troy1225 Active Member

Glad you were able to get the bike pulled over without incident and are ok :)

How did you get the bike home?

7. Porter

Porter Junior Member

Happy to hear you are safe. Really glad it was not the front tire!:51:

8. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Fortunately it was not 100% flat and a gas station was close. Walked it there and aired it up. Rode home very slow and stopped a lot for air. I hope I don’t have to go through that again. I am thinking about adding roadside assistance to my insurance.

The puncture is in the middle deep in the tread. I will inspect everything when I get it apart. I might go with a new tire anyway because I rode it a long way with very low pressure to get it home.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  9. ScreamR

ScreamR Member

If you're a member, and depending where you are, you could have used HOG's roadside assistance.

10. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If you decide to keep the tyre fit a new tube as patching is not as good as a good tube and sets you up for future failure

Brian