free website stats program Flat Tire | Harley Davidson Forums

Flat Tire

bikerdad

Lost a rear tire riding home today. Doing about 50 and enjoying life when the back end got real squirrelly. Pulled it over and the rear tire was flat. I just put the tires on last year and am not looking forward to tearing the rear end apart again so soon. Oh well, it is always something, at least no injuries or damage to the bike!

So what happened? Puncture of some type? Do you have spoke wheels?

Glad you're OK!

So what happened? Puncture of some type? Do you have spoke wheels?

Glad you're OK!

Got it up on the jack and found a screw puncture. I have spokes, with a tube in the rear, the new tire looks OK but I won't know how bad the tube is till I get it apart. I have a spare tube, might have to use it.

Depending on where the screw puncture is, if it is in the middle of the tread and not near or at the sidewalls, new tube and inside patch for the tire (do check the inner rim strip or replace for peripheral damage). Being as it is a new tire, should work out fine. If it were a couple years old though, I would replace the tire as aging is more than skin deep. JMO

Glad you were able to get the bike pulled over without incident and are ok :)

How did you get the bike home?

Glad you were able to get the bike pulled over without incident and are ok :)

How did you get the bike home?

Fortunately it was not 100% flat and a gas station was close. Walked it there and aired it up. Rode home very slow and stopped a lot for air. I hope I don’t have to go through that again. I am thinking about adding roadside assistance to my insurance.

Depending on where the screw puncture is, if it is in the middle of the tread and not near or at the sidewalls, new tube and inside patch for the tire (do check the inner rim strip or replace for peripheral damage). Being as it is a new tire, should work out fine. If it were a couple years old though, I would replace the tire as aging is more than skin deep. JMO

The puncture is in the middle deep in the tread. I will inspect everything when I get it apart. I might go with a new tire anyway because I rode it a long way with very low pressure to get it home.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you decide to keep the tyre fit a new tube as patching is not as good as a good tube and sets you up for future failure

Brian

Back