free website stats program Flat tire on the road | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Flat tire on the road

Good choice, best to be prepared rather than wait for a roadside repair without tools to get you out riding ASAP.

There are plenty of repair kits in the catalogs. I am tubeless so I keep a plug kit with CO2 cartrages. They run about $40. I'll leave a plug in the rear but not the front. I have done this without any issues on 3 occations, but it is a personal call and really depends on where the plug is located. You never want it on the sidewall, but in the tread patter is normally OK.

I'll leave a plug in the rear but not the front. I have done this without any issues on 3 occations.

I won't run a plugged tire in a car or on a bike,I have seen to many fail.
If you can't afford a new tire at least get it patched from the inside with a good vulcanized patch

Vulcanized Tubeless Tire Cold Rubber Patch, Tire Patches - Vulcanized Tubeless Tire Cold Rubber Patch Manufacturer - Dexin Industries Co., Ltd. from China (mainland) - Dexin Industries Co., Ltd. @ ttnet.net

Sorry about the chinese link,but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for and you can buy kits at Carquest and Autozone

Last edited:
I carry a small 12volt air compressor and tire plugs to get to get me home. I am my own tire man!

Thorns

x2 I have the same kit. The only flat tire I have had on a tubeless tire I have plugged and ridden until it was due to be replaced. Not saying that is the safest choice.... but it worked.

It is okay Jammerx, using a plug to get your tubeless tire or aerosol flat fix for the tube tire (if you had a slow leak, not a blow out) to get you "out of the woods" is an option based on necessity. Just remember it is a temporary repair and to get that repaired tire off as soon as possible and replaced with a new tire (and tube if so equipped). As Steve said, if you must repair that old tire, make sure it is patched from the inside, but is really not recommended on a motorcycle tire. That small 4 x 6 tire patch is the only thing between you and the road, and the side stresses and heat are so much greater than an automotive tire.

Last edited:
not trying to be funny here as this has happened to me,,,but your best best is a cell phone and ROAD AMERICA tow service...For $19.95 i used this service 3 times and i am more then happy i had it, never waited more then 45 minutes for a flat bed. hope you don't flat,,but ya never know!

Would never use fix a flat. It really makes a mess of your rim. Plug ok for a short slow ride to get a new tire. Remember the only thing between you and the asphalt is a good tire.

It is okay Jammerx, using a plug to get your tubeless tire or aerosol flat fix for the tube tire (if you had a slow leak, not a blow out) to get you "out of the woods" is an option based on necessity. Just remember it is a temporary repair and to get that repaired tire off as soon as possible and replaced with a new tire (and tube if so equipped). As Steve said, if you must repair that old tire, make sure it is patched from the inside, but is really not recommended on a motorcycle tire. That small 4 x 6 tire patch is the only thing between you and the road, and the side stresses and heat are so much greater than an automotive tire.

LOL!! The funny part is that was over 20 years ago on my first sportster! and I have not had a flat since... and I put more that 5 k on that tire. It was the rear tire so i didnt feel so compelled... and it lasted. Modern tire plugs are pretty durable really. Nobody is going to recommend them, but tires get plugged all the time will no ill effects... I have had a slow leak and used that green slime tire balancer/sealer stuff with no ill effects. So to each is own. Tires are expense but so is your rearend.... use at your own risk

Yeah, I have run plugged tire for awhile, but it was the old braided vulcanized rope type and it had to be in the middle 2/3 of the tread and all that...BUT I was also young and on a "tight" budget going to college.

Nowadays, steel or aramid belts, internal heating and such can make plug "tenuous"...and I have way too many people who rely on me to come home safe. $120 for carryin with me doing the R&R of the wheel/tire is way way more economical AND safe. You will have the help of many guys here also. :D

Last edited:
Once again, thanks for the input. I would never keep a repaired tire on the bike, especially since I've paid for HD road hazard ins. Just hope I'm not too far from Grandma's house if it happens..ha-ha!

Back