free website stats program Flat rear tire + Crash + H.O.G. Roadside Assistance = Bad Day | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Flat rear tire + Crash + H.O.G. Roadside Assistance = Bad Day

I was at the Knoxville HD this Saturday and there was a bike come in with a valve stem that popped off on the interstat, one with a blowout, and another flat issue from a sidewall issue,, so what's with this rash of tire issues all of a sudden. Any, glad you have no perminant injurys, been there and it's no fun. Rest up and buy some chrome, that always makes you feel better.

OMG am I sore. I didn't even want to bother with the computer today. Thank god nothing is broke but lots of scrapes and bruises and it's weird cause I just can't seem to put together why I hurt where I do as things happened so fast I just don't know. "and I can't get the what could I have done differently so bike didn't go down out of my head.

Thank you to my HDTALKING family for all your support.

when your Back tire goes flat the best way to stop is to pull in the clutch and use your front brake to keep the fricton off your back tire. opposite for a front flat, then use your rear brake and engine to slow and stop.

VH, I hope you are feeling better. I would also like to thank Wildspirit for that bit of advice. I hope I never need it, but I am also glad I can store that bit of info & hopefully retrieve it if I am ever in that situation. I had read a bunch of how too's for my days of bicycling, and to my amazement, when I needed to try them out, they worked and saved me some serious road rash. Take care of yourself VH.

When the rear tire blew on my Buell all I heard was a pop. I rode another mile or so before I stopped to check it. The Buell has radials and a stiff low profile tire. I didn't even realize that I had lost tire pressure due to design of the tire, not like the time when I blew the rear tire on duel purpose tire (road and off road).That tire put me all over the road.

when your Back tire goes flat the best way to stop is to pull in the clutch and use your front brake to keep the fricton off your back tire. opposite for a front flat, then use your rear brake and engine to slow and stop.

I did exactly that. And I made it from the high speed lane to the shoulder and when I was slowed down to about 20 mph, the back was weaving back and forth so bad and I was headed right for the guiderail. And the rest just happened fast but I think the loose gravel on the shoulder of the road didn't help much. I do know that there was a lot of friendly people who stopped to make sure I was ok and helped me pick up the bike. I had planned on taking a ride this morning on my 90 flhs but I have to take a couple of days off from riding cause my ribs are sore and the pain medicine I am taking makes it unsafe to drive but I can't wait to ride and the sooner the better.:skipping

then there wasn't much more you could do and gravel on asphalt can be worse than ice. Some tires handle better under "flat" conditions than others.
I NEVER buy cheap tires,(not saying you did) and I wouldn't ever run a tire for more than 2 years no matter how many miles are on it or what the tread looks like

then there wasn't much more you could do and gravel on asphalt can be worse than ice. Some tires handle better under "flat" conditions than others.
I NEVER buy cheap tires,(not saying you did) and I wouldn't ever run a tire for more than 2 years no matter how many miles are on it or what the tread looks like

I am definately gonna need a new tire but not sure what to put on. The dealer said to put what came with the bike back on but I don't know if I like that idea. This bike is an o8 that was bought new in November and tire had 4200 miles on it. What tires do you use?

Last edited:
I like the Metzler marathon, but right now on my 2007 FXST I have an Avon on the rear because they're only other stock size option besides a Dunlop. I'm hoping Metzler gets going on the new size but this Avon seems like a pretty good tire. I rode across Washington State from Spokane to Seattle on a Metzler with a Screw in it once with out knowing it:bigsmiley21: I noticed my tire was low before I left so I put air in and gave it a once over but didn't find anything. In the morning I noticed my tire to be low again and that's when I found to the screw in it:11:
I'm not real fond of the Dunlops but A lot of people run them with out a problem. I just steer away from 'em because I had a bike with a Dunlop in it and with less than 5000 miles on the tire I found a split in the center of the tread pattern.

I am using Meztler ME880. I love them. a lot quiter and a good ride. Won't go back to Dunlop. I have mentioned before that I also use Dyna Beads for balancing. Very satisfied with them, and you never have to rebalance or worry about weights falling of or moving. Same price as dynamic balance and you can even reuse the dyna beads

I am really curious as to why tire went flat so fast. I can't wait to get that answer hopefully tomorrow. I can't really complain about the Dunlop HD tires as The manufacturer of most vehicles tend to put on good quality tires but I do think the Dunlops track funny when you are on uneven surfaces and lines in the road. Sometimes it makes you think there is something wrong with the tire but then it goes away as the surface changes. IDK but I am concerned about putting same tire on as what was on there.

I am using Meztler ME880. I love them. a lot quiter and a good ride. Won't go back to Dunlop. I have mentioned before that I also use Dyna Beads for balancing. Very satisfied with them, and you never have to rebalance or worry about weights falling of or moving. Same price as dynamic balance and you can even reuse the dyna beads

I like the idea of using Dyna beads for balancing. I always wonder what happens when weight falls off. I am gonna look into these as I don't know anything about them but definately would be worth it to not have to worry about getting tires balanced.

Back