free website stats program flashing headlight | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

flashing headlight

You will just need to use the switch as a break in the wire. The same wire connected to both sides of the switch with the switch in between.

What would that switch do that going from high to low and back wouldn't do?

Not wear out the factory rocker switch and use the same side of the bulb (READ) if hooked into the low beam

hey dangerdan thanks for the info. actually i do just want a momentary switch that i can control myself. so i can "flash" cagers at will. i too hate the flashing headlights that are on all the time. i want to put the switch on the switch housing behind the clutch lever. so i can flash with my finger. as far as the wiring, do i just tap into the hot wire off the headlight to the switch and ground the other wire? just want to be sure. thanks again.

You will just need to use the switch as a break in the wire. The same wire connected to both sides of the switch with the switch in between.

Should there not be a fuse in line here just because?

What would that switch do that going from high to low and back wouldn't do?

It would actually turn OFF the light by disconnecting the power source as opposed to switching it from high to low beam.

Should there not be a fuse in line here just because?

The fuse is already supplied within the factory wiring and would still be effective to protect the system but if one is inclined it could not hurt :D

It would actually turn OFF the light by disconnecting the power source as opposed to switching it from high to low beam.

The fuse is already supplied within the factory wiring and would still be effective to protect the system but if one is inclined it could not hurt :D

Thanks, I was thinking the same:s

perhaps flicking the high/low beam rocker would do the same. i figured that a quick and more accessible switch (literally at the tip of my finger) would be easier. my wife had a beemer (b/4 her deluxe) that had a quick momentary headlight flasher that was quickly accessible by the tip of the finger. i thought it was a good idea then, thus the request. thanks to everyone for their help.

got an 09 RKC. i want to hook up a momentary switch to flash the headlights. i don't want to mess it up. diagrams anyone? thanks

Mr. Palmer,

I like your idea and your thinking. However, have you considered using the existing HI/LO switch? I ask only because I've had good luck with it. I'll use it for "Flash to Pass" or, if a cager looks like they're going to pull out in front of me. I'm sure premature wear might be a problem, but I believe that would be very unlikely.

If you continue with your project, I would suggest placing a switch in the ground wire from the light. You could use less wire and ground it near the switch you intend to install.

In any case Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers!

thanks ferrous. the reason for the flashing switch is not to save my existing hi/lo switch. its to have something i could get to quicker (more for urgent reasons) than trying to fumble for the hi/lo. i appreciate your help. i'll keep you posted.

Back