free website stats program flasher aren't working | Harley Davidson Forums

flasher aren't working

:( hey guys, i am having trouble with the flashers! i have re wired the box under the seat with all new connectors in the "right" places, added dielectric grease and i tried the signals. didnt make it any better they just go dim and dont flash. then i removed the rear light cover and tested the lights with a tester to the neg on the battery. while i was doing that when i moved the little wire sticking out beside the light the flasher worked. had to hold the button in but they were bright and they flashed. just that side. then they stopped working and i cant get them back to working. any ideas? i did however figured the horn out :D

ps: i cant seem to get the little tiny lights out and i don't want to break them. I put up pics of the front and rear signals.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 12
Hi funky not that im a great electrikery expert hoople is the man for that but just a thought that some model years of hd required the turn signal button had to be held in to make the turn signals operate once you release the button then they stop
now from what i beleive this would have been some period during the 80s dont know if this is of any help to you just a wee bit of info to be aware of

Brian

That's what i was wondering. I'm under the assumption its a ground issue but i just dont know where to start!:small3d012:

not sure if this makes any difference but the flasher is getting warm if i hold the button in and also if i just touch the flasher wires together the lights are 100% bright .

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 92 and 93 the ground to the indicators is through the frame as there is no earth cable as such on the rear just a good connection to the frame i think that in 94 they started using a ground return cable
however if at some stage the indicator heads have been replaced by a later one that needs a ground return cable then i usually just wrap a bare end of wire round a clean fitting
someone has fiddled a lot with my bikes (usually me)

Brian

Welcome Funky. I'm also no 'lectric expert, but I know the "hold for turn" was updated about '90-'91. My '92 is push on, self cancel after x distance. If your first picture is of the rear signals, those small bulbs may not be drawing enough current to activate the flasher. When going to aftermarket or led lights, a ballast has to be used. Do a search in self help and tips, you'll find something.

oddly enough i found a new bulb for the front right and tried it and wow it worked! I'm no electric expert either just lucky sometimes! :) thanks guys

That was easy see how things work when you least expect it Good 4 you:s

Back