free website stats program Fixin to try Hawks timing nohows | Harley Davidson Forums

Fixin to try Hawks timing nohows

OK just got all the other stuff done on the bike like removing and reinstalling the oil pump boy was that a trip I sure learned alot there. installed a new check ball and spring , tryed to remove without taking pump off but noway was it coming out I didnt have a magnet that strong .installed a new screen inside gear housing also so while I have that open is there anything I should check before putting cover back on? I also installed a new left side crank seal and reinstalled all the primary things will have to do a final adjust on clutch later. I have a S&S crank so if anyone has timed one of those before with points too chime in . wish me luck!:wall

Make sure you have the pinion,cam, breather and distributor(breaker) gear timing marks aligned. If you haven't put the primary side cover on yet, find your crankshaft timing marks, then make (paint) timing marks on the compensator and case. If you ever use a timing light it will be much easier to see. I have very little luck seeing in the timing hole, with or without the clear plug.

If I did everything right I will know this weekend or maybe later tomorrow evening I did get spark when I advanced the circuit breaker ccw and the cam follower hit the mark I had spark on rear plug . I went with the timing mark just coming into the window I had my wife slowly crank the engine over turned my circuit breaker until marks lined up and even heard the rear plug fire oh Breeze I had already installed the cover before i got your post about gear timing . My crank has 3 marks, r and mark then f and mark then t:f I chose f and the mark did I choose correctly? If this thing runs I will have really learned alot from you guys and by JUST DOING IT.

If I did everything right I will know this weekend or maybe later tomorrow evening I did get spark when I advanced the circuit breaker ccw and the cam follower hit the mark I had spark on rear plug . I went with the timing mark just coming into the window I had my wife slowly crank the engine over turned my circuit breaker until marks lined up and even heard the rear plug fire oh Breeze I had already installed the cover before i got your post about gear timing . My crank has 3 marks, r and mark then f and mark then t:f I chose f and the mark did I choose correctly? If this thing runs I will have really learned alot from you guys and by JUST DOING IT.

I think you got it, you should be ready to make smoke:s

Back