free website stats program fix a flat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fix a flat

Works fine on tubed dirt bike tires used it many times on slow leaks.
WAP.gif

I have laced wheels on my Ultra so plugging is not an option, so I carry a can of fix a flat as an absolute last resort. It will work with tubes but makes a real mess, the tire guy will hate you but a little beer money will make things a little smoother. I've used it in the past on other bikes but if at all possible get out the Gold Card and cell phone!

I have laced wheels on my Ultra so plugging is not an option, so I carry a can of fix a flat as an absolute last resort. It will work with tubes but makes a real mess, the tire guy will hate you but a little beer money will make things a little smoother. I've used it in the past on other bikes but if at all possible get out the Gold Card and cell phone!

Yep, I have to agree with that last sentence totally. The minimal cost of adding tow servce to your insurance is well worth it. Course if you are far away it ain't gonna pay to haul you back home, only to the nearest service center. But still it is the best all round solution to a flat and 100% safe.

I once had a flat and was waiting on a tow at a store. A retired guy came out and saw my flat and he said I guess there's nowhere for a spare on one of those huh. I pulled out my credit card and said here is my spare. The insurance reimbursed me within 3 weeks of mailing them the tow invoice.

If you had a centre stand on the bike you would be able to pull the wheel off and fix the puncture at the side of the road i have done this a few times in the past
However last time i had a puncture i called the recovery told them the problem i pulled the wheel off the AA man turned up and gave me a lift to the nearest tyre place they fixed the problem AA man gave me and wheel a lift back to bike about an hour lost on the journey
However now with no centre stand makes it a wee bit more difficult
If you do not find exactly what caused the puncture in the first place it may reoccur so if tubed you really need to get the tyre off and check for cause inside the tyre

Brian

If you had a centre stand on the bike you . . . . . . . .However now with no centre stand makes it a wee bit more difficult . . . . . . . . .

:lolrolling just a wee bit. Could pull a short axe outa the bags and chop down a big enough stump to roll it up on. Or maybe park under a tree limb and pull some strap outa the bags and winch the rear up. Or if good luck was with you big Bubba would come along and just lift her up and hold er for ya.

I guarantee you one thing, if I was without a tow service I would want Brian riding with me.

BTW I notice some business signs over here use the UK spelling of center (Centre). Guess it gives them class.

Why is plugging not an option? I thought the laced touring wheels were sealed and did not use tubes - in which case a plug will be fine.

Nope, the optional laced wheels on the touring bikes use tubes and rim bands, something from yesteryear, like me!

Thanks to all for their input. I was just wondering because a lot of my riding is usually out in the middle of nowhere in the foothills and getting tow service or even cell phone coverage can be a hassle. Just looking for some extra insurance should a flat occur.

KP

:lolrolling just a wee bit. Could pull a short axe outa the bags and chop down a big enough stump to roll it up on. Or maybe park under a tree limb and pull some strap outa the bags and winch the rear up. Or if good luck was with you big Bubba would come along and just lift her up and hold er for ya.

I guarantee you one thing, if I was without a tow service I would want Brian riding with me.

BTW I notice some business signs over here use the UK spelling of center (Centre). Guess it gives them class.

Quite right sir-and the correct spelling of tire is tyre, if you become fatigued, you are tired, and thus too tired to ride or party. But you are rarely tyred- which means someone slaps a rubber hoop on ya.

Back