fix a flat

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by kpstar212, Nov 1, 2011.

1. kpstar212

kpstar212 Member

Is there any harm in using the car tire fix a flat emergency can on a tubed tire to get you home ?

KP

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I think most would only recommend this in an absolutely, no other choice, method. It is very nasty stuff to work with after the fact, when the tire is removed again. It isn't a good thing to use long term either.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

almost anything will work to "get you home" but many tire service guys will not work on a tire with fix a flat or slime in them. It makes a mess of their machine and can be dangerous too.

4. texas tom

texas tom Active Member

Only the fact it wont work on tubes...it will simply leak inside and get around the tire and make a mess, your tube will still leak..

5. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

I know it does take a lengthy wait sometimes, but your insurance offered tow coverage is your best bet for all round safety etc. It's usually very reasonable.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

It can explode, Please tell a service tech when you use this it can make a difference:s

7. shortster58

shortster58 Member

like texas tom said your tube will still leak and as a tech if i know that it's in the tire . i wont go near it !!!!! had burns all over my face because a custom used that (EDIT) and didn't say any thing :newsmile055:..... so if you do use it make sure you say somthing to them ....

[note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Frankly I would use the old fashioned Stop and Go plug kit (if I'm stuck in the woods with no cellphone service or on a tight schedule). The kit is only 'bout $40 on sale and with a CO2 or powered inflator...once plugged it shoud get you to your destination and "relatively painless.":s

http://www.stopngo.com/

9. kpstar212

kpstar212 Member

Thanks all. Thought it might work with a tube. Now I know better.

KP

10. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Well this is what all the manufacturers have told me too, but seems many shops don't agree. I'm still collecting evidence. I only use fix a flat in my portable equipment with phematic wheels and I end up changing them myself. It is messy (if not in a tube or the tube didn't blow) but seems the newer green stuff ain't quite as bad as the old black sticky slime.