Fitting a side stand spring

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by fin_676, May 16, 2010.

1. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Every time i put the Dyna on the bike lift i take off the side stand spring or it gets caught up in the lift
    It can be a pest to get it back on but i use the following method to do this

Put one end of the spring in the vice and pull down the other end to open the coils of the spring insert a washer or small coin in each space

[​IMG]

Once you are halfway up the spring pull it in the other direction and fill the gaps on the other side

[​IMG]

Turn the spring over and work from the other end till all spaces are filled

[​IMG]

This has stretched the spring approx 1" and should be more than enough to get it easily fitted

[​IMG]

Next photo didn't work
    i steady the bike by placing the lift under the front of the frame and only put it up enough to hold the bike steady
    Put the side stand up and hold it in place just hold the spring in place and pull out washers until the spring is correctly seated then put the side stand down and all the washers will fall out sweep them up off the shed floor and put away for the next time

This procedure will work on almost any spring anywhere that is under a wee bit of tension when fitted

Brian

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Nice to see the pictures in practice...! Have to do the deed on my daughters day bed...times about 20 springs!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Brian

Not sure about your softail but on most you can remove the nut on the top of the stand and the locking plate leaving the stand in place. Then the stand rotates forward to hook the spring on.

4. fin_676

This one is off a 94 dyna wide glide the mount for the side stand is under the engine slightly left of centre has a compleatley different spring from all the rest
    the softail and sportster arent a problem

Brian

5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I know your not going to like this but get a J&S and say bye bye to your Dyna lifting problems. Ask me how I know. (threw away, yes threw away 2 other jacks until I learned)

6. fin_676

I think the shipping might be a bit expensive on that one aswell as the fact that the wee bit of water between you and me tends to at minimum double the price on most things

Brian

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Oops, your correct Brian. I forgot that 1 little detail.! It's a shame because it is a sweet Jack.

8. fin_676

My current jack has done good service with the dyna having been on it for a fair bit of time
    But it has seen 3 different sportsters and the softail i am on the lookout for a new one but places selling bike jacks in my part of the world are few and far between the nearest place i know for sure definatley has them in stock and i could see the full config of it is a 250 mile round trip wasting most of a day just to get a new jack is out at this time of year as that time would be better spent riding

Brian