fitment of rims

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by leedham, Jan 17, 2011.

1. leedham

leedham Member

Hey all,

I emailed Sam at Ride Wright asking about replacement 40 spoke wire wheels that come as close to the stock spoke rims I have on my '02 Road King. He quickly replied referring to their 16 x 3.5 40 cross laced tubeless wheels. Now looking at my rims, they say T 16 x 300 D DOT. My educated guess is that there is a total of a half inch difference in width. Can anybody tell me if I will encounter any fitment issues with either the tire to the rim or rim to swingarm or should I inquire whether or not they offer a 3 inch wide rim. As always, thanks for all the input!
  2. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

All things being equal, meaning same width change on tire, that would add 1/4" of width to each side. 1/2 total. The hubs should be the same. just the actual rim wider. I would think that you have plenty of room. If it were me, I would get down there with a inside diameter measuring calier and check my clearances to various parts before I bought one. The next question for them would be what size tire fits the rim in their opinion. If they suggest the same size tire as you 3" I wouldn't sweat it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tire pro, but makes sense to me