free website stats program Fish Tail Exhaust Legal Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Fish Tail Exhaust Legal Question

bigtyy

In a nutshell, are these exhaust legal? I've tried searching all over the internet, but couldn't find anything. I'm running True duals with straight thru fish tail exhaust (I think they're V&H, no baffle). I was told because of the design, I wouldn't need baffles to create back pressure. I haven't had any problems all last season, but as I read posts, i see that decibals may be an issue in some states. I'm in Washington D.C. and have rode beside cops at full throttle w/o a problem.

Thanks!

2005 Road King Custom, stage I download & Power Commander/USB

In a nutshell, are these exhaust legal? I've tried searching all over the internet, but couldn't find anything. I'm running True duals with straight thru fish tail exhaust (I think they're V&H, no baffle). I was told because of the design, I wouldn't need baffles to create back pressure. I haven't had any problems all last season, but as I read posts, i see that decibals may be an issue in some states. I'm in Washington D.C. and have rode beside cops at full throttle w/o a problem.

Thanks!

2005 Road King Custom, stage I download & Power Commander/USB

Never going to pass the sound decibel test, and no baffles not good, need some back pressure. I ran fishtail drags on all my Baggers tho I made my own baffles, JMO

Thanks Jack... so it's safe to assume fishtails come stock with out baffles? I love the sound, but not looking to float any valves miles away from home. Thanks again.....

I know you can purchase some brand fishtails without baffles installed. One example is the Samson Exhaust. I am pretty sure, not positive, the Vance and Hines Products come with baffles standard.

While you probably won't do any harm without the baffles, as Jack pointed out you would definately notice an improvement in the performance side of things with baffles installed due to having some back pressure. As far as the noise level, baffles would certainly cut down on the chance of getting hassled by the law whether it is legal or not.

Here is a link that is worth reading.

Making Drag Pipes Work - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Jack... so it's safe to assume fishtails come stock with out baffles? I love the sound, but not looking to float any valves miles away from home. Thanks again.....

Fishtail straight pipes do, I love that sound too, you can run exhaust splitters without loosing the sound. Look at Lowes or home depot for large screw eyes(lolipops), very easy to install and will give you some back pressure, Capital Jack:s

They make torque cones that fit inside the pipe up by the exhaust manifold , these cones should create the back pressure you are looking for. Hope that this helps.

I know you can purchase some brand fishtails without baffles installed. One example is the Samson Exhaust. I am pretty sure, not positive, the Vance and Hines Products come with baffles standard.

While you probably won't do any harm without the baffles, as Jack pointed out you would definately notice an improvement in the performance side of things with baffles installed due to having some back pressure. As far as the noise level, baffles would certainly cut down on the chance of getting hassled by the law whether it is legal or not.

Here is a link that is worth reading.

Making Drag Pipes Work - Harley Davidson Community
Triple J...Thanks a bunch. I went to the link and printed out a copy for reference. Very useful..

Fishtail straight pipes do, I love that sound too, you can run exhaust splitters without loosing the sound. Look at Lowes or home depot for large screw eyes(lolipops), very easy to install and will give you some back pressure, Capital Jack:s
Thanks Jack, very similar to what Triple's link was saying. Those eyelets look like the way to go, so I'm going to install them this week and continue to enjoy that Fishtail rumble. Thanks a bunch....

Back