free website stats program First Trip to Sturgis | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Trip to Sturgis

Ride Custer State park wildlife route and Needles Hwy. Spearfish Canyon and this is your first time so you have to go to Sturgis and see for yourself visit Deadwood Devils tower there is lots of great rides you'll have a great time. I went in 2010 the week before and had a great time.

:D

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'm really looking forward to it. We all have agreed to maybe take one day walking around in Sturgis. We're not interested in spending time with the drunks, the rides and lots of pictures are the main mission. I guess I should get a map or book of the area and start planning!!

Just go. No matter where you go it will be fun. Do Sturgis itself at least one day. Like when you on the first day and get some souvenirs. There are places there that will package and ship your souvernirs home for you if need be. Take warm clothes and expect hot days. When I went we had a storm come through that make the nights in the 40's and the days upper 70's. Be careful when passing. There are a lot of jerks there who only ride their bikes once or twice a year and have no clue as to safety. Do not approach buffalo. Just stand back and take pictures. Deadwood is a blast and take the guided bus tours that will take you up the mountain to Buffalo Bill and Calamity Janes' graves. It hits you then that they were real people and not a television show. Rapid City is perfect.

We will be in the Black Hills 4 nights in July. Can't wait! We have a ball. Decided this time to do the Saturday night in Deadwood. Might have to get my Poker thing on! There's a cool little Cigar bar underground on the main drag that is cool to hang out in too.

Rapid city is fine location to stay,, see custer state park for american Bison, :D
Mount Rushmore, Devils tower.. fantastic..:small3d026:
sturgis for a day...is ok...how many bikes and T's can you see and buy,,hahha
Badlands nat. park....deadwood.... spearfish...

take a good camera and watch your riding as others who are more familiar with the roads go faster..so look before you make a move.:shock

have fun...its a blast no matter where you go..and if you look around,,,you may see a buffalo (bison) as i did in Custer State Park.....oh one more thing..look into getting a National Parks Pass...if your older its a bit cheaper..but a good deal no matter what....late ryd..

I think everybody's kinda hit it, Spearfish, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Deadwood for Gambling. Don't miss the Buffalo Chip campgrounds, maybe take in a concert if ya got time........remember the Buffalo Chip is on Private Property so no cops and be prepared to see stuff ya weren't planning on seeing. One Eye'd Jacks is the best place in town, 3 stories of bar and the girls are nice. The Full Thottle Saloon is a little out of town and a lot of fun. In Custer watch out for the Buffalo, Harley's are about the same size and them critters don't like em, stay AWAY from the Bears, ya ain't got no windows ta roll up! Lastly......keep your eyes on the road when your on your bike, there are a ton of distractions. While I was there the 1st time there were 5 fatal bike on bike accidents in 3 days. all 5 involved a bike rear ending another stopped bike and the riders not wearing head gear. The best part of a ride to Sturgis.........is the ride.

If you are serious about going try Keystone for a room the rates are lower than Rapid City. There is some good nite life there as well. It's also close to Mt. Rushmore ,Iron Mt. hwy. and the Needles hwy. ,Hill City and Custer.
You can do Custer St. park the Needles and Iron Mt hwys. early and avoid the crowd go about 8am. Wednesday in Hulet Wy. good party!
Beware the wanna be's.

my wife and i rode our electra glide from pittsburgh to the black hills last year (2010). we went the week before the rally. went down to sturgis a couple times early in the day for a few hours then rode the rest of the time. bought enough t-shirts to clothe everyone we know, sent em back in the mail. we stayed at the Holy Smoke Resort in keysone, great place,location,prices. the rides were the best thing, loved iron mtn road, custer park, rushmore, spearfish canyon and the rest. we liked keystone, but next time would like to stay in Hill City- central location for riding,great night life and restaurants within walking distance, lots of riders day & night. the week before rally is best time- all the good times, no traffic, half the prices. highly recommend the trip. have fun !

I find that once I'm there, I put on another 8/1200 miles on Just the everyday rides in the Black Hills , visiting towns like keystone, Hill city and the sights like Crazy Horse, Animal Parks and canyons, Mt Rushmore at night,
Every back road and front road is GREAT .. Hulet Wy. TOO.... No panties thursday is better on a wed says my wife.(.)

Usually too-much for Most riders to see and do on their First time to sturgis, and in only 5 days..

I only go down town sturgis 1.5 times....IF That.. I love the black hills......

signed....BUBBIE

Back