free website stats program First trip on my Softail. | Harley Davidson Forums

First trip on my Softail.

07DynaSB

Hey guy's, just thought I'd let you know how my weekend trip went to Charleston S.C. Visited Low Country Harley Dealership, Historical places downtown, Boat Marina's Bar,Folly Beach, Fire Fly Tea plantation, Shem Creek Bar/restaurant and much more. It's only a 350 mile round trip but it was a good test for me and the bike. Overall it was very nice, 65 mph is a very comfortable cruising speed and the suspension was very smooth. Handling and balance in town was a very good even with a passenger on back. But I did notice what sounds like a exhaust leak coming from the front of the engine when I'm under throttle. I'm pretty sure this is because of the windshield isolating the noise of the exhaust pulse. Am I on the right track? also I can hear the usual 5th gear whine and trans chatter if I lug it. One other thing, I hear a clinking noise in the front fork area when I hint a bulb or run across a grassy area, maybe behind the headlight, almost like a loose bolt. Anyway just wanted to share my experience and a new Softail owner and my fun weekend. Marty...

Glad you had a good ride. About the noises. It is always a good policy to check all the fasteners on your bike regularly. Even if it is fairly new, sometimes one or two get missed. Take your windsheild off and check the light area. Smack it with your hand and listen. Also, put a wrench on the exhaust nuts. If they are a little loose, fix it. Start it up and listen and feel around the exhaust area for leaks as well. Dn't get burned. Good luck Marty, and ride safe.

Theres nothing like going a trip. Glad you had a good time...

It was the exhaust nuts! The front one's were loose and one of the rear was missing. I snugged them all up and replaced the missing one and it's much better but I think I'll get some new gaskets and replace them on a rainy weekend. thanks!..........

OK, I just checked on gaskets. Wow, so many kinds available. Should I just use HD brand or can anyone suggest something better. I have stock head pipe with slip-ons. thanks

OK, I just checked on gaskets. Wow, so many kinds available. Should I just use HD brand or can anyone suggest something better. I have stock head pipe with slip-ons. thanks

Stock H D gaskets are fine, I replace the exhaust nuts with grade 8 nuts and lock washers, torque them equally to 10 ft lbs and check them once in a while:s

Loved my trip to Charleston. I try to make it down there every couple of years.
WAP.gif

Stock H D gaskets are fine, I replace the exhaust nuts with grade 8 nuts and lock washers, torque them equally to 10 ft lbs and check them once in a while:s

I totally agree with Jack. :hii Did the same on my Heritage when I changed pipes. Ride and enjoy.:s

Back