free website stats program First Time | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Time

Check your old oil for particles when you dump it out, That is how I found the slivers of brass, just sayin:s

My 2 centz... there's probably a magnet embedded in the filler cap plug to collect any metal slivers floating around. Make sure you wipe them off if any. Also take care not to cross-thred the plug when you put it back in. It's not rocket science, take your time.

My 2 centz... there's probably a magnet embedded in the filler cap plug to collect any metal slivers floating around. Make sure you wipe them off if any. Also take care not to cross-thred the plug when you put it back in. It's not rocket science, take your time.

:s This is true, but I found the BRASS when I drained the old oil into a separate container, The damage was already done, The magnet will NOT pick up the brass:s

Take bike out for a wee ride prior to draining the oil as hot oil will have washed through the engine and picked up and suspended most contaminants and the oil will flow much better when hot
Just take care around the hot bits

Brian

I'm not a pro, but I started putting a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil before I change it. I never overfill it, but sometimes I can add 2 to 4 ounces in to top it off. MMO is a cylinder top end lubricant that foams up and helps to clean out any solidified oil. I ride at least 10 miles before I drain the oil. Half a quart of your old oil stays in the engine, so a little bit of the fresh MMO remains.

A pro might say how this can be a wrong thing to do-- I don't know, but the motor seems much more smoother, responsive, and maybe faster. I would not add MMO in your new motorcycle's first oil change, but after it is broken in.

:44:

Thanks everybody for the tips, the plan is to do this tomorrow, so I will take my time, may have 1 cold one while doing it and a few more to celebrate after:D

A buddy told me about a catch basin for the oil filter, so I cut one from a 1/2 gallon bleach bottle, fits in there good, going to buy a wrench today for the filter.

Thanks!!!!

Gator508, you read all above... I don't need to repeat what they said... Just treat your bike like it is your baby! That is what I did to my wife and my bikes! Take your time! :newsmile098:

Make sure you lightly coat the rubber gasket on the new oil filter with clean oil. And don't over tighten it.

.......partial quote

A buddy told me about a catch basin for the oil filter, so I cut one from a 1/2 gallon bleach bottle, fits in there good, going to buy a wrench today for the filter.

Thanks!!!!

Good Idea......but

DID? anybody mention?

No madder (smitty901) how good the fit with that catch basin, put a catch cloth wadded up, or folded, Under the oil filter , then shove that catch basin under the filter, over the cloth.

It WILL save clean-up IF any oil decides to go around the flat no lip catcher...

Oil ALWAYS finds an easy way out.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Good Idea......but

DID? anybody mention?

No madder (smitty901) how good the fit with that catch basin, put a catch cloth wadded up, or folded, Under the oil filter , then shove that catch basin under the filter, over the cloth.

It WILL save clean-up IF any oil decides to go around the flat no lip catcher...

Oil ALWAYS finds an easy way out.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Good idea! I tried to ... but your right that oil always finds a way out!!! Next time I will use your method! Thanks BUBBIE!

Back