First Time

Discussion in 'Oil' started by gator508, Aug 8, 2013.

1. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Going to change the oil myself for the first time, got a service manual. Any suggestions or tips from you pros?

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Be sure you have ample time to do the service and not be rushed. Make sure you have all the necessary parts and oil to do service, and you are good to go... :s

3. Webbtron

Webbtron Banned

the oil filter wrench is handy
    [​IMG]

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

And something to channel the oil into a catch basin instead of running all over the front of your engine and vibration isolator when removing the oil filter!!

TQ

5. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

in some cases there is a difference between the OEM manual & aftermarket ones. that said, go to sears or K Mart they have a 3 prong claw universal oil filter. that fits a 3/8's extension.

6. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

also go to dimple harley drain plugs,com their magnets in their plugs will pick up a 11/16 " O?E wrench.i tryrf it. oem ones are worthless as a magnet.
    also use PFE paste on the plug threads. ACE hardware has "O" rings. the late twin cams use #44. go to amazon & buy a 1/4" drive torque wrenchthat goes down to
    80 in pds. i think the drain plugs are 80-140 inch pounds torque ,I think. i don't have my cheet sheet to look at.

7. Amish Hawg

Amish Hawg Active Member Contributor

Beverage of choice........Southern Rock on the radio

go slow.....go easy.....done

8. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

Amish Hawg has the right idea. I tried to rush the last time I did our changes and made a complete mess....:dknow Not even sure how...but boy was it a mess. :) (It may have had something to do with putting 3 quarts of oil in a 1 quart container...) Just wasn't paying attention.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

NOW for the LAST THING....

Take out YOUR WALLET and see How Thick It Is......:s

NICE HUH.....

signed....BUBBIE

10. Amish Hawg

Amish Hawg Active Member Contributor

And before you get all comfy down there.........and this WILL happen....

You might as well get the chrome polish and rags out. Put them within arm's reach. You will polish the bike today:newsmile021:

I had to laugh at my desk when I read Bubbie's post........Ain't that the truth!!! Pull the wallet and all keys from the pockets. Clear the small pebbles from within 15 feet of the bike. Your knees will find them.