free website stats program first thing you do? | Harley Davidson Forums

first thing you do?

I bought my first Harley 2 weeks ago. The first mod I made was exhaust. Then I came here and discovered it was not that simple, so I ended up doing a stage one upgrade.

After the upgrade, it was like getting a new bike all over again. :D

Remove the reflectors and strip it of any other extraneous bits and pieces I can do without.

Any routine maintenance that I felt the bike needed first, based on last service and mileage on the bike. Yours being a 2005, I would replace all the fluids including the brake fluid, oil filter and air filter and spark plugs inspecting them for anything unusual. I would check for wear on the tires, brakes pads, calipers not binding and verify primary drive chain tension, your final drive belt adjustment or wear including the sprockets. I would also check the clutch freeplay 1/8"-1/4" cold and friction point is in the middle of the lever sweep range and make sure all my hand and foot controls fit comfortable, even with my eyes closed. I would verify critical fasteners checklist for proper torque (tightness) and clean the bike up, carefully inspecting for things I might miss as I dry the bike down and polishing her up with Pledge. Inspect hidden places (expecially the underside of the bike, wiring harness and battery cables for evidence of corrosion, leaks or spillage).

I did not even think of changing anything, until I did all that routine stuff first. Did not want to take a chance and muddy up problems by starting in on perfomance upgrade, comfort mods or bling until after I was sure everything was sorted as a sort of baseline to start out with.

Back