first service on my preowned bike

Discussion in 'Oil' started by trnman32, Aug 28, 2010.

1. trnman32

trnman32 Member

I recently purchased a 06 fatboy and found this site I would like to thank all involved with this site I gain some very helpful insight to doing my own service!! So thanks to everyone. Randy

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Hi Randy, Welcome to the forum. We have several members that are in your proximity.

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Hi Randy. Congradulation on your purchase and service. This is the place to be if you want to learn how to work on your ride. If you ride west give me a holler, I live on the west coast of Fl, in the northern part. Check out the Biketoberfest threat, looks like several members are going to meet for lunch during the event.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Hi Randy, Im in Jax, Florida like Don we are close give us a holler:s

5. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Welcome aboard trnman32, you definitely found the right place. lots of good folk here willing to give a hand. Enjoy that new fatboy!

6. trnman32

trnman32 Member

Thanks guys Im trying to find people to ride with! I really enjoy the site lots of good info here!

7. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Randy, doing your own service is a great learning experience and a great way to save money and ensure things are done right. The savings can be turned into obtaining service manual and tools to make the job easier and plenty of $$$ for those little goodies we all want to do regarding Stage I mods (performance), consumables and maintenance items or make your ride more personal and comfortable. So study the Self Help tab and the Search tab using keywords to find the threads of interest. You will not be disappointed and you will spend more time riding and reading after that ride! :D

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

trnman32/Randy; you'll definitely find anything & everything to help you w/the scoot on this site. Best of all, if it's not there, all you gotta do is ask. Enjoy wrench'n & rid'n & be safe!

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

From another fellow Fla rider. Albeit an east coaster and farther south than Jack. Welcome and a job well done on your first service!

Bodeen

10. Harley Rider

Harley Rider New Member

Just bought a 2008 HD Softail Fat Boy and was trying to locate the oil filter. The dealership did the 1000 mike service on the bike and used conventional oil. When I don the 2500 mike service should I stay with conventional oil or swap over to synethic oil? Also, what weight oil should I use?