free website stats program First service done | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First service done

I enjoy doing my own work. Started with the local indy on oil changes, they could not get it right. Now I do it myself.

The more you do yourself the more you get to know your bike. You'll also be surprised how simple most things are i.e. brake pads, forks, handlebars etc. Just buy a manual, have good tools (you never have to many tools) and take your time, it's rewarding and enjoyable!

Heavy oil in the primary will not let the clutch fully disengage and will cause a pretty loud bang when you shift. Especially when cold. If you did a clutch adjustment and did it wrong (been there, done that) it will do it too. Heavy tranny lube doesn't seem to affect it much and actually will quiet the shift. What did you use for oil in each hole? I run a 20-50 full synthetic in all 3 holes as per moco recommendations. No problems after many thousands of miles and many years of riding these beasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

For best shifting, it's best to use a non synthetic 10/30 or 10/40 in the primary that isn't an energy conserving oil. This is one place where a thick oil will not give you better results.

Yup. Glider makes perfect sense. Nothing in there that really needs a viscous oil. Clutch sure doesn't. Chain tensioner is nylon and spring loaded. Compensator doesn't care. Lighter IS better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

Great job! You'll be doing more and more as time goes on.

hay! chuck 60, try another dealer on the noisy primary. they might have more time to look at it, and they might get another loyal customer. or pull the primary cover yourself. nothing says it like I TOLD YOU SO.

hay! chuck 60, try another dealer on the noisy primary. they might have more time to look at it, and they might get another loyal customer. or pull the primary cover yourself. nothing says it like I TOLD YOU SO.

My mechanical skills are limited, so what would I be looking for after pulling the primary cover off.

Thanks Charlie.

what you see when the cover comes off is not that complicated...on the left is the compensator spocket, or drive sprocket. on the right you have a clutch basket and a chain connects them. you can check the torque on the compensator, and varify the tension on the chain is in spec. the clutch has a very simple adjustment and it is on this site. I'd go with glider here and drop back to a little lighter primary oil...i use redline shockproof...on a side note, a long socket extension can be your friend in trying to find a rattle...may not be where you think it is...and i'm still chasing one...

Back