free website stats program First Road Trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Road Trip

Ohhhh, y'all are sooooo great! It's wonderful to hear those tips! Actually, I've had to experience much of what you mention already, but because of that, I don't want to experience it anymore...... unless I have to. We had several excursions that got us back home after dark last summer. Luckily, the deer aren't moving AS MUCH during that time of year. I also had to be aware of cattle that were out of the pasture on the right-of-way. They can dart out in front of you in fear so quickly. We just hope we can limit our riding to daytime. As for rain..... well, that is a funny story. I will make it short and say that my husband wouldn't pull over so we could get the rain gear on. By the time we got home, my boots were filled with water! :p All that being said, I know that getting into foreign territory will pose hazards. I am as prepared for that as I can be I think.
Dr. Doolittle, I appreciate your last response. I certainly wasn't removing the jacket to be "cool," but to be COOL. Still, I rode with it during high temps last year and survived. I can do it now too. Hugs to you guys!
Amen to the cattle warning! :D Flipper, I know how you feel about getting brave enough to go with out the jacket and such.....sometimes when I'm feeling froggy I will take off with out my helmet, not often, but when I do, I always kind of feel like I am doing something illegal. :)

Dr. Doolittle, I appreciate your last response. I certainly wasn't removing the jacket to be "cool," but to be COOL. Still, I rode with it during high temps last year and survived. I can do it now too. Hugs to you guys!

Not sure what type of jacket you have but if you can afford it, it's nice to have one for cooler weather and one for warm/hot weather. Several companies make nice textile jackets with as much or as little padding and armor as you want and once you're moving, they let the air pass through and you don't even feel like you're wearing a jacket.

Well, being a lady, I love clothes, so in the last year I have purchased 2 H-D brand mesh jackets with the armor (1 for spring and 1 for summer), a H-D brand leather jacket with armor for late fall, winter, and early spring, and a denim jacket that has armor and a removable quilted liner and vents. I spent money on all those. Now I just need to make sure I wear them...... I'm going to check out the ones mentioned above.

Sounds like you had a good time and that is all that matters. Don't worry about how many miles it was, just find places to go and enjoy the trip. My wife and I enjoy getting out and some of our best trips were the shorter ones!

Heres hoping many more happy miles for you and your husband, its nice you can ride together:D

Well, being a lady, I love clothes, so in the last year I have purchased 2 H-D brand mesh jackets with the armor (1 for spring and 1 for summer), a H-D brand leather jacket with armor for late fall, winter, and early spring, and a denim jacket that has armor and a removable quilted liner and vents. I spent money on all those. Now I just need to make sure I wear them...... I'm going to check out the ones mentioned above.

Sounds like you've got the jacket area well covered! Time to spend money on something else!

Yep, I think the jacket area is covered, and everything else clothing-wise. Now I'm trying to find a back rest that will fit with my stock seats. I had a beach towel folded up and held in front of my luggage on the passenger seat with a cargo net on the way home from the beach trip, and that saved my back. Firehouse Customs might have one. Their ad is a little confusing. Looks like it will fit through 2009 in one place on the ad, but then in another spot, they say it won't on '09 and '10 models. I've got an email placed to them asking for clarification.

Congrats Flipper! I would like to recomend riding the Blue Ridge Parkway thru East Tn and Western Nc. There is a lot of great rides close to it also. I would also recomend some rest stops like Freeborne's or Stations Inn in Laurel Springs, Nc. Right off the Parkway that cater to bikers. You can check them out on the web. There are so many, I can't list them all. Live to Ride (MORE)!

I've checked out Freeborne's and Stations Inn. I liked Freeborne's especially well. Thanks for those tips MrtnHarleyrider!

Last edited:
Back