free website stats program First Road Trip | Harley Davidson Forums

First Road Trip

flipper

Account Removed
Although it was quick, my husband and I made our first road trip since getting our Harleys last year. We rode them down to Gulf Shores for a couple of nights. It was great beating the arrival of summer heat, crowds, and oil. Up until that trip, the most I had ridden in a day was something like 238 miles. We did 285, 40, and 290 on this trip, and I even got brave enough to ride home without my protective jacket. I know all that sounds really goofy to you veteran riders, but I have to start somewhere.... Got to visit Eastern Shore H-D and Mobile Bay H-D. Nice folks.
Next trip will be to the mountains either in Tenn. or Ark.

Congrats! One trip at a time. Tenn or Ak both have great rides. Mina Mt. in Ak. is a great ride. Don't forget to stop at the lodge to have a great lunch!

we all start somewhere & sometime. i have ridden my adult life but only taken 1 weekend trip never seam to get a vacation....i take that back wife & i went south in 82 on 73 flh. its 1 of the pictures in my office. her sitting on bike about 530 am sun peeking over her shoulder.

Yeah Ultrat, we have so many responsibilities at home since we farm. It's hard to get away for any length of time, but we're working on that since the rides are so important to us and we know we're not getting any younger............ I bet that shot of your wife is awesome!!!

Although it was quick, my husband and I made our first road trip since getting our Harleys last year. We rode them down to Gulf Shores for a couple of nights. It was great beating the arrival of summer heat, crowds, and oil. Up until that trip, the most I had ridden in a day was something like 238 miles. We did 285, 40, and 290 on this trip, and I even got brave enough to ride home without my protective jacket. I know all that sounds really goofy to you veteran riders, but I have to start somewhere.... Got to visit Eastern Shore H-D and Mobile Bay H-D. Nice folks.
Next trip will be to the mountains either in Tenn. or Ark.

Glad you had a great trip but I'm really conflicted about the highlighted statement above. Why do you consider it an act of bravery to take off protective equipment while riding a motorcycle? I think it's even harder to fight the peer pressure and stereotypes and wear this equipment if you've got it. I'm sure you meant it in a light hearted manner but part of me is concerned that a younger or beginning rider could see a statement like that and think, "I want to be brave like that. I think I'll shed the jacket, gloves, and helmet!"

I see what you're talking about Dr. Doolittle. You're right, I shouldn't have made that comment in the wording I did. I think it's very important to wear protective gear, and I should have kept the jacket on I guess. I did put it back on when we re-entered the heavy traffic area. I realize things can happen out on the wide open highway too, but...... well, but nothing.......... I bought the jackets for a reason and they're not going to do me any good hanging in the closet or packed in the saddlebag, right?

I see what you're talking about Dr. Doolittle. You're right, I shouldn't have made that comment in the wording I did. I think it's very important to wear protective gear, and I should have kept the jacket on I guess. I did put it back on when we re-entered the heavy traffic area. I realize things can happen out on the wide open highway too, but...... well, but nothing.......... I bought the jackets for a reason and they're not going to do me any good hanging in the closet or packed in the saddlebag, right?

I certainly didn't mean to make you feel bad or guilty about what you said. Just wanted to point out that it might have been taken wrong by a small percentage of folks. I've left the jacket and gloves off on a beautiful day when I know I'm not leaving the neighborhood and I know I won't get above 40MPH and I STILL have second thoughts as I'm rolling along. I just think we so often do things for the "cool" factor and don't think about what could happen to our exposed body parts, even at relatively moderate speeds.

Flipper, congratulations on your first extended tour. Many good rides ahead, and those miles per day are just fine. You want to get miles in during the daylight hours so you can practice your eye, coordination and riding skills. Once you have done a few of these, do a few at dusk (not in pitch black) to get used to riding with "impaired visibility only" (one thing at a time), and of course there will be steady learning from there...so when you end up having to ride at night, no harm no foul...or farther down the road, get caught in sprinkle and such get used to riding, stopping, gearing up and continuing on...everything in moderation. Remember to do your Spring (after winter) riding tuneup by not only servicing your bike, but practicing with it in a empty parking lot doing figure 8's and slow speed tight turns left and right for about an hour over a couple weekends. Before you know it you'll be a pro.

Ohhhh, y'all are sooooo great! It's wonderful to hear those tips! Actually, I've had to experience much of what you mention already, but because of that, I don't want to experience it anymore...... unless I have to. We had several excursions that got us back home after dark last summer. Luckily, the deer aren't moving AS MUCH during that time of year. I also had to be aware of cattle that were out of the pasture on the right-of-way. They can dart out in front of you in fear so quickly. We just hope we can limit our riding to daytime. As for rain..... well, that is a funny story. I will make it short and say that my husband wouldn't pull over so we could get the rain gear on. By the time we got home, my boots were filled with water! :p All that being said, I know that getting into foreign territory will pose hazards. I am as prepared for that as I can be I think.
Dr. Doolittle, I appreciate your last response. I certainly wasn't removing the jacket to be "cool," but to be COOL. Still, I rode with it during high temps last year and survived. I can do it now too. Hugs to you guys!

Back