free website stats program First ride without helmet. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

First ride without helmet.

I always find these helmet/no helmet discussions humorous. For one thing it seems one side will never convince the other that they are wrong in their assumptions.

Let me just insert a few observations for your contemplation.

There is the statement often repeated "helmets save lives". This may or may not be true, however the media has decided that if you are not wearing a helmet you will die. They have inserted the phrase "the rider was not wearing a helmet" at every possible opportunity. Two years a good friend was killed by a drunk driver who ran head on into his motorcycle. He died of massive trauma to his entire body. There was no way he could have survived but the local paper had to report that he was not wearing a helmet.

In recent years I have heard the statement "if you ride long enough you will go down". This is one of those statements that sounds logical but has no basis in fact. Unless you count the off road riding I did as a youngster, I have never "gone down" in 40+ years. When I learned to ride the idea was to avoid accidents. These days, it seems that the focus is on surviving accidents, not avoiding them. This may explain the lack of skill that you see on the roads today. People have been convinced that just as in a video game, when you crash you just reset and start again.

Finally, while researching this subject I came upon this bit of information from a research study on the causes of traumatic brain injury. It seems that 51% of brain injury is caused in "motor vehicle crashes", that includes all motor vehicles, not just motorcycles. That also means that 49% or about 1/2 of the injuries happen from other activities. Since I don't see anyone donning a helmet in the morning and leaving it on all day I don't understand the concept of only protecting yourself 1/2 the time.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, just stirring the pot. :D

What a wonderful ride without a helmet, it reminded me of the late 70's in CA.
I just got back from a 3,000 mile road trip 1/2 of it without wearing that Brain bucket. We started out going to Sturgis but once we got to Utah, we decides to go north to Idaho, Wyoming, montana 75-85 mph, what a ride, untill we got to wa,and or. then We had to put the brain buckets on and slow down, and Not tell anyone we were from CA., we told the OR,and Wa. locals we were from Montana, to Save bad feelings, they hate CA people.

Here in Montana there is not a lot of love for CA people either.

I think it's all a matter of what you are used to (or how you are brainwashed). I don't wear helmets, unless it's very cold outside and I will be at highway speeds, but my reason is to keep warm. I used to think nothing of it. I love the total open wind feeling.
Now before I catch any heat, I know that helmets are smart to wear. I even make the kids wear a helmet on their little pocket rocket and if they were to ever want a scoot of their own, I would want them to wear a lid. So what impact would it have if they saw dad put one on as opposed to not? For that reason (and a couple others), I am seriously considering buying a half helmet. It'd also make my wife happy.

Morn'n ksboy,

Be a good choice to get the helmet.

I've been brainwashed. My brother is an emt and ambulance driver. Need I say more about that! Also, when ever I even think to not wear a helmet I can hear my wife saying "but he always wore a helmet".

Randall K. Wilson: Can the OR or WA People read? They can look at your cycle license plates and see the CA!---YES, But I was refering to in a tavern or Store, were it's better say your from Montana or Wyoming when they ask "where ya From". It made the visit so much enjoyable.

forgot where I read it,but I read somewhere that regardless of what you have on your hewd,you WILL suffer brain damage or death if you hit your head on something solid at a speed in excess of 30 mph.Not to mention a severe case of whiplash or broken neck.In some peoples opinion,a helmet is compulsory because it keeps a lot of the mess inside the helmet,making it much easier to clean up after the accident

Gunnut: If it feels better to you, then wear one. Ther is no right or wrong, just personal feelings. I had to wear on in PA until I started ABATE chapt 62 with 4 other guys and a gal and in just 2 short years we got the law overturned in PA. I do not wear one myself and I ride 9000 miles a year
Phillyboy

RichardS, Those are some good rebuttals.

You're absolutely right, no one would choose to hit their head on the pavement. I've hit my head on the pavement a few times but it was from walking on icy sidewalks (that explains a lot !) but I still chose to not wear a helmet in the winter when out for a walk. I also choose not to wear a helmet in the shower although I understand that soap, water and slippery tile can make for a dangerous situation.

If someone were shooting at us and I had to chose between a bullet proof vest and an automatic weapon, I'll give you the vest and I'll take the weapon, I'd rather be proactive than reactive. Which brings us to your point of "Ride for The Fall". I'm sorry that you had to go through that pain, but I'm not into marathon rides, never have been. Iron but is not for me. I limit my rides to about 400 miles or 6 hours a day, whichever comes first. I was always taught to Keep your head and eyes up, keep your eyes moving and try to anticipate hazards. in other words, be proactive. I've also been told that "sometimes you gotta lay her down", I don't ride with anyone who says that. Once you make the decision to "lay her down" you have given up all control and all you can do is react to whatever happens. I also don't believe in "accidents" in 99% of the crashes there is a cause and effect, the best thing to do is analyze the probable situations that may cause a crash and minimize them or avoid if possible. If we avoided all danger we would sit home with the crossword instead of riding motorcycles.

I had to chuckle about your comment on shoes when I thought back on my childhood and the fact that the best thing about summer was being able to go without shoes (yes I'm a hillbilly, and proud of it) wearing shoes is more societal than practical except in the snow, when you have to walk to school (uphill both ways). I also worked construction for the cable company for 30 of my 40 years with the company and never wore steel to boots. I know, I know a 500 lb reel of strand can do a number on my foot, but I never felt the need to use my great toe as a wheel chock.

Again, I will say if you're comfortable with a helmet or ATGATT by all means do it. But there is one fact no one can escape.

We're all going to die.

It might be an interesting poll to see how many have gone down and wear a helmet vs how many have gone down and do not wear a helmet. And the opposite. How many have never gone down and wear a helmet vs. how many have never gone down and don't wear one.

I don't know how to do a poll and will be away from my computer for the next 6 days.

Back