free website stats program First Ride in 2011...Not so Good NEED HELP! | Harley Davidson Forums

First Ride in 2011...Not so Good NEED HELP!

bwalsh22

Ok, so I did a bunch of work with lots of fun over this winter and finally got ride, but after about 10 minutes of warm up and riding the bike started cutting out on me and sputtering as if it was running out of gas, it never fully stalled but gave attempted to a few times. So I ran it to the gas station, topped off the gas and sure enough it started again. Now what I noticed is at Low RPMs, no issue, but as I reved it higher the problem started. Below is a list of what I did to the bike and the codes I now have.

MODS
- Near Kuryakn LED Taillight
- Front Turn signal relocation (had the tank off and wiring harness out, potential that something is loose but I double checked it all before putting it away)
- New Osram 80/100 light added, per recommendations here, 4th one down on this page GermanAutoParts.com
- New front mirrors and Saddle bags - nothing should be effected here

Codes (in order of read):
b1006 - Ignition Line Over voltage Instruments
b1007 - Accesory Lie Over voltage Instruments
b1004 - Fuel Level Sending Unit Low Instruments

My initial thoughts, based on some reading, pinched wire in the speedo console, from when I had it off for the front signals or water in gas (although after reading the codes, do not think this is the issue, this was my initial thoughts as it happened)

I ran a battery test last week and all looked good 12.5 volts at start, peak to 14/15, then down to about 13 while running. Have not done it while rolling the throttle, but that is my next thought.

Also, only other item I have on the bike that might be impacting or impacted by this is the Kuryakn LED fuel and battery guage. The previous owner installed this so I really know nothing about it, but just before the problem would start this would start going crazy.

Other thought is to swap the bulb back out to the stock bulb see if that changes anything... I'm looking for ideas so I can start troubleshooting. Figures first break of decent weather and I end up back at the house and switching to my car after a 10 min ride.

peak to 14/15,

Peak to 15. That is high. Are you sure about that or are you just rounding off.
Actually measure it to two places. (15.XX). You have 2 DTC's that say it is too high.
Was the bike on a charger when you started it.

Peak to 15. That is high. Are you sure about that or are you just rounding off.
Actually measure it to two places. (15.XX)

I'm probably overestimating, it went past 14 that much I know and is somwhere between 14 and 15. I'm going to run a double check on my number once I get done working.

Rounding off to the nearest whole number does not tell you much when it comes to charging voltages.

I would also write down the codes, clear them, run the bike with the rpm above 2500 for at least 10 seconds and see if those high voltage codes come back. Those codes can be erroneous if you happen to start the bike with a charger attached.

How old was the fuel that was stored in the tank. I have seen some bizarre things happen to stored fuel even when Staybil was added.

Thanks hoople, sorry for the rounding, was just trying to remember off the top of my head since I ran a fairly quick test on it to verify if my battery was still good. The 3 codes above are all I have, so I have them down, the bike was off the charger when it was started.

Sounds like my initial thoughts on the fuel could be it though, it was from back in October with Stabil added. I thought about throwing some seafoam in the tank to see if that helped to clear anything up as well, but was going to give it a run with some clean fuel first.

I agree with the above. I once tried adding good fuel to some known bad fuel, and it just resulted in having twice as much bad fuel. I would have thought diluting it would have improved it but it didn't. It really surprised me.

I never heard of SeaFoam until coming to HD Talking. I just started using it this year and I have to say it is Magic.

I agree with the above. I once tried adding good fuel to some known bad fuel, and it just resulted in having twice as much bad fuel. I would have thought diluting it would have improved it but it didn't. It really surprised me.

I never heard of SeaFoam until coming to HD Talking. I just started using it this year and I have to say it is Magic.

Ok well just took it back out for a bit. Let me just say the next time I am going to wait at least a day before I post anything with any problems. I went out to go rerun my electrical diagnostics and noticed I never properly tightened the screws to the battery. It took me longer to write my initial post then to fix the problem. Boy I feel like an idiot. Thanks for all the advice. Good news is that in my panic I now have a pint of seafoam in my garage for the next winter.

Looking like 70 here tomorrow so I will be out enjoying the ride.
WAP.gif

Back