free website stats program First Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

First Problem

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
IMG_0774_zps4e0063e1.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see I have the fork tube clamped in the bike with a air ratchet to remove the center screw from the bottom of the fork tube. My problem is the screw just spins and spins. Any help on how to remove this screw now?

Put the axle back in and pull down pressure while trying to remove the screw, if you can put it in a bind it may come out

Jack I think this is the left hand fork tube, he just has it is the right triple clamp for some reason. The left hand tube has a solid hole, no split. The screw he is trying to get out is into the center of the tube and holds the internal suspension cartrage. If he has already taken the pressure off the spring the cartrage may be turning. I'll go down to the shop and confirm with the manual.

Jack I think this is the left hand fork tube, he just has it is the right triple clamp for some reason. The left hand tube has a solid hole, no split. The screw he is trying to get out is into the center of the tube and holds the internal suspension cartrage. If he has already taken the pressure off the spring the cartrage may be turning. I'll go down to the shop and confirm with the manual.

HDDon... your right I have the left hand fork tube on the right hand side just to hold it tight. I have put the spring and cap nut back on to get some pressure on the internal components. This is a sportster and there is no cartrage. I will have to figure out away to put more pressure on it, unless someone has a way of breaking it loose....thanks you guys.

I should have looked at those pushrod tubes more closely. I don't have the manual for a Sportster. Can you pull down on the lower portion of the fork while turning the screw?

The book does not help any as it says leave the fork assembled and loosen the bottom screw take the fork cap off before fully removing the screw
An impact wrench may help as the sudden shock is at time much better than an even pressure and keep the lower fork fixed
As the internals of the fork sit in oil there should be no corrosion there but where the screw goes through the lower fork there may be some corrosion so a wee bit of heat on the screw may help

Brian

fin is probably right an impact works a lot better than ratchet or air ratchet that's the only thing I have had consistent luck with and I even think the manual says this.

So is that screw, screwed into the tube holding the spring or into the bottom stop? Is the pressure from the spring enough to keep the part from turning? If this is the case the impact would seem to be a good choice.

HDDon... your right I have the left hand fork tube on the right hand side just to hold it tight. I have put the spring and cap nut back on to get some pressure on the internal components. This is a sportster and there is no cartrage. I will have to figure out away to put more pressure on it, unless someone has a way of breaking it loose....thanks you guys.

Yeah, I see it now. A 1/2 air wrench should get the job done= more turning power, good luck:D

I must be missing something. Turning the screw does not seem to be the problem. The way I read it whatever the screw is attached to is turning and the screw won't back out. Holding whatever the screw is attached to and keeping it from turning would be the solution. If you can't hold the part than maybe the impact wrench will give it the shock to break it loose. Am I just not getting the problem?

Back