First oil leak!

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bikerdad, Apr 30, 2012.

1. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Everyone tells me that all Harley's leak oil. I would like to think that it is not true.

I have developed my first leak and I am having trouble locating it. It is a 99 twin cam with 15K miles on it. I have a small drip underneath about where my right big toe would be. The dealer says Stator Plug but unless I am mistaken, that is on the left. Oil would flow over that way when on the side stand, but the spot on my garage floor is on the right. I was thinking oil filter but it looks dry there.

Any suggestions?

2. Fritz

Fritz Member

Are you sure it's oil? That area could be brake fluid.

3. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Good point Fritz, I haden't thought of that. I will check it when I get home tonight. Thanks for the idea!

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Oil can migrate, check the stator plug any way, see if it feels spongey, look for weeping, do you have an oil cooler?

5. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Jack, dealer replaced stator and I still have the same problem. No oil cooler.

Thanks Tank, Although everything is dry up top, I will check the links!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  6. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

you need a oil cooler.

7. HawkPilot

HawkPilot Member

I had a clutch cable leaking and dripping on the garage floor on the right side, right about where you said yours was leaking.

8. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Checked the brake cylinder, clutch cable, and air cleaner, Thanks for the suggestions. Everything looks OK, still can't find the source but I will keep looking.

9. Fritz

Fritz Member

with the syn3 in every hole you'll have fun tracing that leak.If you haven't switched to a gear oil in trans nows a good time.Spectro 6 speed is purple and works great in 5 speeds also

10. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

I had the same problem with my 99 tranny oil was traveling up from inside of clutch cable.