free website stats program First oil leak! | Harley Davidson Forums

First oil leak!

bikerdad

Everyone tells me that all Harley's leak oil. I would like to think that it is not true.

I have developed my first leak and I am having trouble locating it. It is a 99 twin cam with 15K miles on it. I have a small drip underneath about where my right big toe would be. The dealer says Stator Plug but unless I am mistaken, that is on the left. Oil would flow over that way when on the side stand, but the spot on my garage floor is on the right. I was thinking oil filter but it looks dry there.

Any suggestions?

Oil can migrate, check the stator plug any way, see if it feels spongey, look for weeping, do you have an oil cooler?

Oil can migrate, check the stator plug any way, see if it feels spongey, look for weeping, do you have an oil cooler?

Jack, dealer replaced stator and I still have the same problem. No oil cooler.

A couple more things to consider would be that you serviced/recharged your air filter with a bit too much spray oil or the other possibility is that you are getting a bit of blow-by out of the air cleaner (over serviced motor or see the link for other causes).

Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Tank, Although everything is dry up top, I will check the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a clutch cable leaking and dripping on the garage floor on the right side, right about where you said yours was leaking.

Checked the brake cylinder, clutch cable, and air cleaner, Thanks for the suggestions. Everything looks OK, still can't find the source but I will keep looking.

with the syn3 in every hole you'll have fun tracing that leak.If you haven't switched to a gear oil in trans nows a good time.Spectro 6 speed is purple and works great in 5 speeds also

Back