free website stats program First oil change. | Harley Davidson Forums

First oil change.

HDSickness

Banned
So I bought the 99 rkc in december with 6000 miles on it and changed the fluids first thing when I got it with M1 in motor and primary and Redline in trans.
Just got to 9000 miles and changed all again with same seems the engine oil is barely even dirty just a little brown primary a bit more dirty and trans clean and pink. No fuzz on engine or trans plug some on primary. I think it might be overkill to do all 3 after 3000 miles what do you think?

It may be over kill but the peace and tranquility is worth it knowing that all is looking good deep down inside. Better to find out early when something is going to give. IMO.

My '94 Evo has had all three changed at 3500mi intervals same for the '05 TC. As has already been said peace of mind and low cost. I know it's overkill but I also change the spark plugs and clean the AC.

So I bought the 99 rkc in december with 6000 miles on it and changed the fluids first thing when I got it with M1 in motor and primary and Redline in trans.
Just got to 9000 miles and changed all again with same seems the engine oil is barely even dirty just a little brown primary a bit more dirty and trans clean and pink. No fuzz on engine or trans plug some on primary. I think it might be overkill to do all 3 after 3000 miles what do you think?

That's what I do. The bike is about $20K. Is the little bit of cost for "excess" oil change worth it? I think so.

TQ

I'd agree on 5,000 miles with out a problem... ON the engine and Primary...

Depends on the Ride area and the Rider.. I watch the oil in the engine and change early IF needed(color is a lot of what i look at and IF the bike has Long Rides=longer time)

Make up Your OWN mind here YOU have to be the one satisfied..

Take others opinions as a CLUEs to what you do...

I like that you are using the Redline product in the tyranny ,,, You Have Made ALL good oil choices..

I KNOW your tyranny will go 20,000 miles without a problem on the redline Shockproof.... Harley calls out for 20,000 miles Now...

The redline tech approved the Fact that HD moved out their mileage change on Tyranny's to 20,000 miles... He also said (redline S.H.) would go another 20,000 (40,000) without a problem AND without Redline Tyranny Lube breaking down enough to change it earlier BUT suggested to STAY with HD recommended service times interval...

signed....BUBBIE

I do my evo bikes at approx 3000 mile intervals and generally do the engine and primary and every 6000 i do the gearbox although my sportster gets done annually as i do not ride it often but it was my first Harley so i am keeping it

Brian

I was changing all 3 at 3000 miles and have changed to doing engine every 3000 and tranny and primary every 6000.

Back