free website stats program First Mod - EFI Fuel Management....? | Harley Davidson Forums

First Mod - EFI Fuel Management....?

Krazilee

It seems logical that lowering engine temps and extending engine life would be of highest priority for new stock XL1200L.

Does it make sense to purchase and install an EFI Fuel Management system before upgrading exhaust and intake for the sole purpose of enriching the fuel mixture and lower engine temps?

What are your thoughts?

It seems logical that lowering engine temps and extending engine life would be of highest priority for new stock XL1200L.

This has been beat to death on multiple forums and I know I'm vastly in the minority but you asked for opinions so here's mine.

Fuel management will undoubtedly lower your engine temps but I don't think it's been PROVEN that it will do anything to extend engine life. Do it if you wish but don't convince yourself that this will guarantee hundreds of thousands of miles out of your engine. Running a high quality oil with frequent changes and strictly adhering to scheduled and preventive maintenance should be much more critical to engine life.

Don't worry - like I said, I'm a distinct minority on this topic. You will now read dozens of posts telling you what a great idea this is, even a necessity!

I guess some confessions are in order. I'm not only new to this site but I don't own an HD... yet. I just got my M1 license this year and have been commuting to work on an economy size 250cc. I plan to get a Sportster XL1200L next year and will surely do a stage 1 or 2 upgrade as time (and money) permits.

With that being said, although I love to hear that Harley music louder and feel more power, I know I'll need an EFI fuel mgmt system sooner or later and thought sooner wouldn't hurt if all that came of it was lower engine temps. I would then be in a position to adjust EFI settings necessary for any subsequent upgrades.

Thanks for your advice which leads to another question as I've been researching EFI Fuel Mgmt systems...

How does the Dobeck system compare to the Cobra Fi2000?

I guess some confessions are in order. I'm not only new to this site but I don't own an HD... yet. I just got my M1 license this year and have been commuting to work on an economy size 250cc. I plan to get a Sportster XL1200L next year and will surely do a stage 1 or 2 upgrade as time (and money) permits.

With that being said, although I love to hear that Harley music louder and feel more power, I know I'll need an EFI fuel mgmt system sooner or later and thought sooner wouldn't hurt if all that came of it was lower engine temps. I would then be in a position to adjust EFI settings necessary for any subsequent upgrades.

Thanks for your advice which leads to another question as I've been researching EFI Fuel Mgmt systems...

How does the Dobeck system compare to the Cobra Fi2000?

Here's another crazy suggestion that might save you a lot of money. Why don't you wait until you get your new Sporty and then see if it has enough oomph for you. After riding a 250cc for all this time you're in for a pleasant surprise. Don't make all these decisions about Stage 1 or 2 because of what you've read and heard and now you're convinced it's necessary. Ride it for awhile, enjoy the heck out of it, then decide where your money needs to go. You might find you'd rather invest in saddlebags, windshield, upgraded seat, upgraded shocks, or some riding gear. There's no shortage of things to spend your money on when you get a bike!

Dr Doolittle, it's not a crazy suggestion... just a practical and logical one. I'm know I'll be smiling when I can finally commute on a Sporty. Honestly, I am a bit intimidated by the big jump from 250cc to 1200. I'll have plenty to handle and keep me occupied before I need more power. As far as the other "investments" you mention, I want them all! lol...

I think I'm hearing from all of you that if I stay stock, the lean fuel delivery should not present any problems. Only when changes that let the engine breath better will I need to consider EFI Fuel management.

All your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey Krazi, have you considered buying a used Sportster? Not sure about where you live, but around here they are a dime a dozen. It's possible to get an 07 or 08 with barely any miles on it, still under warranty, for a fraction on the price of a new one. In many cases, people have added the pipes, high flow air filter, and fuel management. Their loss could be your gain. If I had it to do over again, that's the route I would go. You can get alot of bang for the buck. These mods along with a proper tune will lower the engine temp, and make the bike much more fun to ride. The difference between stock and free breathing was night and day on my 04 1200C. (Which I sold way to cheap due to all the other lower mileage bikes available.) Good luck with whatever you decide!

Can't speak in regards to a sporty, but I added a Dobeck techlusion version 3 to my
stock 07 DFX(bought used with 3K miles)( waiting for money,opportunity and the alignment of the planets to deliver the slip-ons and A/C) .I could not get over just how much better the bike runs now-seems cooler but the general smoothnest ,acceleration ect was incredible, simply because of getting rid of the overly lean tuning that Harley is forced to give their bikes by govt decree- downside- less gas milage- but who gives a (edit)! Found the new unit on Ebay for $165
Keary

Last edited by a moderator:
Back