free website stats program First Long Ride | Harley Davidson Forums

First Long Ride

Zamadan

Got interested in the Iron Butt. So Thursday I tried out my new gel pad on the 07 decker and rode from Calgary to Kelowna and back. Total of 1400 km. Started at 6 am and got back home at 10:30 pm. When I left it was 4c and then hit 30 c in Kelowna. The cooler weather was no problem but holy g not used to the heat there. Hate riding with out the leathers but stripped down to my heavy shirt and vest. Would have shaved off 2 hours but encountered lots of flagmen stopping traffic due to road contruction. Got a little lighthead and then remembered you get dehydrated fast so stopped and drank water often. It was a beautiful ride, but the butt did get a bit sore, and I learned how to wiggle around to get some circulation going back there lol.

Had a dual purpose for the trip, needed 2000 km for my 32 thou service and a few thou to replace the front and rear tire. Will do that this week and be ready for holidays this month.

Now I know some of the challenges for the longer distances, I'll try to do the Iron Butt this summer.

Ride safe.

So what's your review of the gel pad? Which one did you use? Could you have gone that far without it do you think?

Boy if you hate riding in the heat, you'll want to stay away from Florida for the time being. It was 99 (with heat index of 105).

Back