free website stats program First H-D Factory Custom? | Harley Davidson Forums

First H-D Factory Custom?

Randall K. Wilson

Folks, IYHO, what was the first Harley Factory Custom? I thought the first factory custom was a 1971 Superglide but, In a 1983 Motor Company Advertisment, it states that the first factory custom was the 1977 Lowrider. Now I'm confused!

Please respond...so I can move on with my life.:)

I'm with you on the '71 superglide. From what I have read over the years, Harley did a brisk business in regular rear fenders to replace the "boattail". I think the most difficult thing about restoring one is finding a boatail rear fender, most hit the scrap pile. I was still a metric rider in '71 but I thought they were way cool looking. I loved the red white and blue paint scheme. I can't even remember the '77 superglide, was that the one with the big eagle on the tank?

I'm with you on the '71 superglide. From what I have read over the years, Harley did a brisk business in regular rear fenders to replace the "boattail". I think the most difficult thing about restoring one is finding a boatail rear fender, most hit the scrap pile. I was still a metric rider in '71 but I thought they were way cool looking. I loved the red white and blue paint scheme. I can't even remember the '77 superglide, was that the one with the big eagle on the tank?

Like Breeze3 I was into metrics, and remember the boattail as something of a "lark" by AMF as "something new"...if memory serves. But then Honda had just come out with their 750K4...which kinda "distracted me" :small3d015:

Ok you guys are a little confused here , the 71 SG was Willy G first attempt to strip a Fl down so to speak and give it a custom look ,that owners of big inch harleys were doing for years , As far as the first actual CVO the team was assembled in 1998 , and the first CVO was in 1999 and the bike was the FXR 2 If I remember rite ther was under 1000 made I think like 900 units were made , the next year was a Screamin eagle roadglide this was the first year they started using the SE as a CVO name based platform , however there have been limited edt. made before 1999 such as the 1978 Anniversey edt. 1977 confederate editions perhaps this is what you are talking about there were just 44 FLH made 228 Super Glides and 299 sportys , But in 1976 they also did a liberty edtion , But if you ever run in to a Confederate model for sale buy it ,because they will be very collectable in years to come the reason being untill recently Harley Davidson denied ever producing the Confederate edt, because in the 1980s the politilcal pressure by the NAACP on the use of the soulthern Cross flag.

the SG and Sportster cam with the boat tail option ,it is even harder to find one for a sportster. , the K series was the basic street going machine then the mildly souped up KK and the KR was highly tuned race engine the KRTT was the same version as the KR but had a streamline fairing , the 52-53 were 750cc in 54 the engine was given a stroke to 883cc and was relettered the KH also made the tuned version KHK and even the rare KHR and KHRTT, also the KHK was rigid but you could buy a bolt up swingarm kit with shocks add the fairing and you have the KHRTT.

Crocker is correct 71 SG was Willie G's baby. I liked them I was just a kid and riding dirt bikes , but knew enough to know that they were different.

Yes that's right, it was Willie G's baby and has been referred to as Harley's 1st Factory Custom because it was a mix of FL's and XL's to make the 1st of the FX line,altho never marketed as a Factory Custom. They also didn't have a Screamin Eagle line back then either or piles of chrome doodads or fancy paint schemes. All the CVO's are is an existing model loaded with SE parts, chrome add ons and fancy paint job.

Back