free website stats program First flat | Harley Davidson Forums

First flat

twicecam

Three and a half years , 27000 miles ....got my first flat. Rode 100 miles and stopped for breakfast, came out ready for some more and had a flat! Thank goodness for Markel Roadside assistance, 1 hour and the flat bed tow truck was there. I am thankful it happened in the parking lot and not at 70 miles per hour, guess I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.:bigsmiley25:

TC, sorry for the flat tire and your intro into Roadside Assistance...an alternative if HOG or other RA is not available is the Inflate-Flat Fix can, which would let you get back on the road (at lower speed of course) to the local servicer. Not much better, but at least if your are out in the boonies you would be able to get out of a "sticky" situation. This is especially true if "after hours" or in real remote area.

Three and a half years , 27000 miles ....got my first flat. Rode 100 miles and stopped for breakfast, came out ready for some more and had a flat! Thank goodness for Markel Roadside assistance, 1 hour and the flat bed tow truck was there. I am thankful it happened in the parking lot and not at 70 miles per hour, guess I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.:bigsmiley25:

Sorry for your troubles. Was this a tire failure or did you run over something?
I carry a plug kit that has a CO2 cartridge in it. I realize though, that there are only a few types of tire damages that are repairable.

Sorry for your troubles. Was this a tire failure or did you run over something?
I carry a plug kit that has a CO2 cartridge in it. I realize though, that there are only a few types of tire damages that are repairable.

Just got it up in the air, it was a small finishing nail, I have inner tubes so a plug kit wouldn't do me any good.

Last edited:
I just bought a little kit at Walmart today for that. It has a bottle of Green Slime and a little air pump that plugs into the same hook up as the Battery tender. If you don't have a battery tender plug already this kit comes with one. I'm not a big fan of repairing tires, but it'll get you out of a pinch.
I Really was thinking we need it for my wife's car because I seem to have misplaced hers, but I think it would be smart to carry it or one like it on the bike. This is the one I got at Walmart for $28.00 Slime Power Sport Smart Spair - Buy Online Today. The one I got at Walmart has a little bit different packaging, but includes all the same stuff and has the exact same part # (part # 50001)

Wildspirit has the right idea as well...the inflation kit or can that dispenses liquid rubber/slime into the tube/tire with nail or puncture to the bottom will get immersed in the liquid "sealer" and when CO2/Aerosol inflates tire, it tries to force the sealer into the hole and seals the flat, (of course you did pull the nail) and you should be on the road in 15 minutes or so.

Wildspirit has the right idea as well...the inflation kit or can that dispenses liquid rubber/slime into the tube/tire with nail or puncture to the bottom will get immersed in the liquid "sealer" and when CO2/Aerosol inflates tire, it tries to force the sealer into the hole and seals the flat, (of course you did pull the nail) and you should be on the road in 15 minutes or so.

I didn't get a tenth of a mile from my driveway, could hardly control the bike.

On friday I became the owner of a brand new barbed wire fence staple just right of center in my 6000 mile rear tire. Plugged it, it didn't leak but I wouldn't trust the tire for future ply separation. Monday it got a new tire.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• IMG_0736 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0736 (Medium).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0740 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0740 (Medium).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 20
On my Buell I picked up a 5/16 bolt. I heard a puff and didn't really feel any ill effects at 60 mph. but after a mile I stopped to check it out. there was a cut in the inner fender and this bolt sticking out of the tire. I swear that if it hadn't been a radial tire it would have been a very bad situation. I am currently in the process of changing my spoked wheels for a set of cast wheels just for a puncture situation.

I swear that if it hadn't been a radial tire it would have been a very bad situation. I am currently in the process of changing my spoked wheels for a set of cast wheels just for a puncture situation.

This was always a concern of mine while driving my 05 Deluxe. (I loved that bike) I was always concerned about the spoke wheels. I loved the looks but I am very happy to have mag wheels. The thought of losing air so fast never sat well with me. I did check into the process that is out there to make spoke wheels tube-less but is seemed there was always an issue. Don't know if they have it figured out or not.:52:

The inflator/flat fix stuff works to get you out of most situations until you can get it to a servicer...and I agree, once the tire is "compromised" replacement makes the most sense, especially if you take the wheel assy off the bike, go to HD or metric dealer who has the tire in stock, and they will usually will mount and balance it for free IF you buy the tire right there. Got the rear tire replace for $125...not a bad deal and only an hour wait!

Back