free website stats program First Delphi injection problem | Harley Davidson Forums

First Delphi injection problem

juan4awl

Brand new to this whole thing, so please bear with me..Been riding most of my old life..presently a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road glide that is running rich enough to power a nuclear sub!! This model is the first to use the Delphi injection system. Can't seem to find much info on the early system. Bike was disassembled over the winter for new paint. Looks great, but runs like doo-doo. Starts, idles (sort of) for few seconds, loads up on fuel, dies. Started running rich end of last riding season - hard to start, black smoke until warmed up. I have no idea how to retrieve codes if any, but engine light has never been on for more than the usual start-up time. Frustrating as heck...it seems as though the system thinks the throttle is wide open all the time. TPS? CKP? How far is the idle air solenoid supposed to open the butterflies? I'm a fairly intelligent guy, but not a trained mechanic. Suggestions?

I thought touring models didn't go to Delphi till 01; but, maybe that SE gig was an exception. Either way, you can check codes from the scanalyzer plug near your ECM. You jump 2 of those holes, turn on your ignition & note the lights blinking on your dash (if there are any). You'll have to do a search on exactly how to do this & what series of lights relates to what code. I can't remember, been runin a Tmax for some time now.
1st, you may want to clean the IAC really good. That has everything to do with how your bike idles. Also, is there any fuel management systems running piggyback to your ECM?
Couple places to start.

Woops. I met 02 on the delphi units for touring.

Last edited by a moderator:
danoflhrci - Thanks so much for the suggestions. You are absolutely right on two counts. Delphi didn't show up until 02 except on SE's! This seems to be compounding my problem. Hard to find info except from the dealer who doesn't want to share it. I'll try to retrieve codes and let ya know. I'll clean the IAC real good, too. And no, nothing running piggyback. There doesn't appear to be a MAP sensor on this one - any input?:eam

danoflhrci - Thanks so much for the suggestions. You are absolutely right on two counts. Delphi didn't show up until 02 except on SE's! This seems to be compounding my problem. Hard to find info except from the dealer who doesn't want to share it. I'll try to retrieve codes and let ya know. I'll clean the IAC real good, too. And no, nothing running piggyback. There doesn't appear to be a MAP sensor on this one - any input?:eam

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-729.html Have a look here for codes for your bike

Yea, there's a map sensor. If you don't have a service manual I'd get one. Parts manuals are real nice also, but that's just me. There's some great reads on FI explained on the web you might find useful also.

K. Gone from computer for a few days, but managed to figure out my injection problem. First, to danoflhrci-there is no MAP sensor on this one. I managed to talk to the guy who ironed out some of the bugs in this system for Harley using the dyno at his dealership. The early Delphi had no incoming air sensors other than temperature. There is an atmospheric pressure sensor located under the right side cover just below the ECM. It looks exactly like a MAP sensor, but its duty is to read atmospheric pressure at start-up only (does nothing after engine light goes out). This is to make the bike rideable in extreme atmospheric conditions. Up and down mountains, for example. You get to the top, shut the bike off, turn it back on, and bingo! New air fuel mixture.
My problem was a very rich condition all the time. And, I discovered an intermittent spark condition also. Changed the crank position sensor and threw in a new set of plugs. Fired right up. I believe most, if not all of the problem was the CKP. No fire - bike loads up on fuel - tries to fire - fouls plugs. That's my educated guess. Thanks to all for the suggestions. By the way, my ride is a 2001 FLTRSEI2 (Screamin Eagle Road Glide) which I now believe to be the red-headed step child of Harley Davidson. Trying to find info is HARD!!!! Thank goodness at least some of the parts are still available.

Cool, you got her squared away! I always thought (from what I've seen) CKP's to be complete show stoppers when they go out. Matter of fact it's the only part I carry on rides besides some tools.

I thought about buying an extra, too, but this one lasted 40,000 miles. Hopefully I'll get many miles out of the new one, too. Thanks again for your help. Maybe we'll run into each other some day. Never know. Peace, bro.

Back