free website stats program First Bike - First Ride | Harley Davidson Forums

First Bike - First Ride

Lets bring back some old memories... Share your story about your first bike and first ride.

I was 7 years old. Big brother bought me a brand new Honda mini-50 for Christmas. sat on it in the livingroom till the snow melted about a month later... LONG WAIT!!!!!!

First ride. All the family was there, including the landlord. Fired that bad boy up. Yeee Haw! Started going through the gears and hit the landlord's new truck broadside at about what seemed like Ludicrous Speed, probably about 10 MPH. Blam! Lesson learned. Don't forget to turn or stop!

Not my last crash on a dirt bike! But got them all out of the way. Never been down on the street!

I was about 12 and I just HAD to buy something with 2 wheels. Found a kid in high school selling his 50cc Benelli and I roared up and down our 1/4 mile, dead end street driving all the neighbors crazy!

Right before my 8th birthday I was given a Honda 50. Nearly rode the paint off of that thing. Like a Timex, it would take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Home made mini bikes HMMM I think around 13, some neighbors had Honda 50 super sports and 160 scrambler, they were fun:s

Was about 12 years old, friend had an ol' tote goat (farm fat knobby tired trail bike) that he got from the junk yard...freed up the piston/rings after spraying penetrating oil and flushing it with gasoline. Later welded up the frame...threw on a piece of plywood, staple gunned some old sponge and rode it up and down the street. About a week later he called me over and we both rode it all over the neighborhood.:panic

Six months later, we were riding it and the sponge seat caught on fire...when we were practicing jumping it on a ramp (of course...!) that was the end of it's gasoline powered days. :(

He would later modify it to be a steam powered...using crankcase drainings for the fire), our "contribution" to being "green" doing the recycling thing (kids did not have a lot of money to buy gasoline). :tounge

My first bike was a Yamaha 250 Enduro street/dirt bike. Had to borrow a friends Norton Commando to go take the motorcycle riding test to add M on to my driver license first. Used to ride up into the high Sierras like a maniac (young and stupid). Had the license plate vibrate and break loose three times in 6,000 miles, about the time the piston burnt through!

My first bike was a 80 Suzuki. I was about 8 years old and my brother was 10 and we were always arguing whose turn it was to drive. Didn't Honda make a 50cc that was a step threw in the 60's?

My first bike was a 80 Suzuki. I was about 8 years old and my brother was 10 and we were always arguing whose turn it was to drive. Didn't Honda make a 50cc that was a step threw in the 60's?

Yep some had an automatic kind of well it was like a twist grip on an old bicycle:s

First ride was on a neighbours mini bike when I was about 12, think it was a Honda. Took it for one short ride on the gravel road by their place. Would've liked to have one but there was no way my parents had spare money to spend on that kind of toy so I didn't bug them for one.

Didn't ride again until around '80 on the back of a friends Suzuki 850. Didn't like that too much since it didn't have a back rest. That pretty much settled it that being a passenger wasn't for me. Although I did ride passenger on a friends G'wing Interstate in '82 while visiting up in Thompson, MB. That I didn't mind but still gave me the itch for my own.
Scratched that itch in '83 when I traded a beater Dodge for my buddy's '79 Suzuki 425.

1984 Honda xr80 for Christmas when I was 10... still have it and gave it to my son for his 10th birthday! That bike is the most reliable thing I have ever owned. In 26 years I have literally changed the tires once, oil maybe 6 times and changed the plug on it 3 or 4 times ...never even had the carb off and it starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick every time!!! I wish all bikes were this easy!
Heres right after his 10th birthday last year

0830091434.jpg

After getting that bike I remember waiting til spring ... what a LONG wait! Now I see the same look in my kids eyes!

Back