free website stats program Firing problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Firing problem

Guy Rand

My 2001 Fatboy has a screaming eagle motor only firing on one cylinder. When I pull the back plug wire off and hold it 1/4" away, it fires on both cylinders, but when I put the plug wire back on, it only hits on one cylinder. While holding the back plug wire, it will bite me depending on how I am holding it. Nothing consistent, just depends on how I'm twisting it.

Makes me wonder if it's a bad plug wire or not. It runs fine with the plug held off, but quits when I snap the plug wire on. Any suggestions are welcome, and helpful.

Thanks,
GCRIV

Put some plugs and wires on the engine. By holding the wire off the plug, the rise time in the coil (saturation time) is greater and that's why it fires.

BTW....what is a screamin eagle engine and how does it vary from the stock engine?

Screamin eagle usually just refers to an intake, mufflers and sometimes ignition module and again sometimes heads, pushrods etc but doesn't make it a "screamin eagle" motor.

It makes it a motor with some screamin eagle parts.:s

Even the CVO bikes that are high priced compared to the stock versions didn't have all screamin eagle parts in the past but just the same heads etc as the stock bikes, just a higher price tag and were sometimes referred to as screamin eagle or CVO bikes but for a high price usually about 10K over the stock bikes.

Tried the plugs, and couldn't get a hold of a new wire, but after talking to a mechanic in town, he suggested checking the ohms. According to the meter it checks out o.k. against a similar plug wire.

The mechanic stripped a similar plug off another bike, and gave it to me to check out. I couldn't make it work with my bike, the diameter of the coil side was different. I'm out of ideas....cheap ideas anyway. Can't get it to the mechanic, and no trailer. Ideas??? Help???

Sounds like a problem in the trigger inside the cam cover , just a guess, is this stock H D ignition

Stock ignition as far as I know. I took the plug wire off, and hooked it up to the ohm meter again. This time, I moved the wire around a little while holding contact at the ends. I got a couple of different readings while moving the wire around. Makes me think there is something wrong with the plug wire, in the continuity. Tough to say though, couldn't get it to react consistently. I can't get a hold of some new plug wires until Wednesday...I'll take any suggestions until then!!

Stock ignition as far as I know. I took the plug wire off, and hooked it up to the ohm meter again. This time, I moved the wire around a little while holding contact at the ends. I got a couple of different readings while moving the wire around. Makes me think there is something wrong with the plug wire, in the continuity. Tough to say though, couldn't get it to react consistently. I can't get a hold of some new plug wires until Wednesday...I'll take any suggestions until then!!

Not sure if the 2001 is carbon fiber or wire.. I think it is carbon fiber..
If you need to run it until wires arrive, I would go to the parts store with old and make a NEW one until you get the set wed.

signed....BUBBIE

Back