free website stats program Fire in the Shop | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fire in the Shop

If your going to run extension cords for the tenders buy a Golden rod and place it under the bike and cover it. If you can't get the Golden Rod go to a music store, and buy a piano damper rod (same as GR only outside is plastic not aluminum, cheaper too). Mount the rod on a 2X4 or 2X6. They are 40/50W and will keep all the condensation off the bike. They work down here in Fl. with all the moisture we have here and I use them under my bikes and in the boat.

Be carefull on covering the bike if its inside an unheated building. Last year I bought a nice bike cover from Harley and put it over the bike. I happen to read in the forum about the bike getting wet from condensation - I checked mine and sure enough it was wet. Took the cover off. The building is a pole barn with a cement floor, haven't noticed any other moisture problems.

If you cover it - check it often.

Yeah I thought about that, and the shed won't be heated. It has a wood floor and with the exception of two small vents up high by the ceiling is pretty air tight. I'll probably leave them uncovered for ventilation. It will get cold in there, but at least it will be out of the -20 wind chill we get and all the snow and constant +20 degree days. I think they will stay pretty dry.

I see no reason to cover a bike if it's under a roof and inside four walls. They don't need a blanket and it won't keep them any warmer. A cover is for when you have to leave it "outside". The cover serves as the roof and four walls. It's not gonna hurt a bike to get cold:small3d014: as long as you keep the weather off it.

Wild...I agree, but ya know we do kinda go overboard on our rides don't we, it is the 5th member of a family of four...security blanket not withstanding.:D

I agree with the mothballing versus starting and idling them for short periods. The only thing I'd add to the advice already given for the process is to pull the plugs once you've changed the fluids and using a Plews oil gun or similar, shoot clean oil into to the cylinders and then bump the motor over a couple of times to coat the cylinder walls with oil and prevent them from getting rust on them during the lay-over. Then just re-install the plugs.

This all makes a lot more sense than my suggestion of starting it every once in a while.

One possible alternative to the oil in the cylinder is to pick up some marine engine fogger. You can put it directly into the cylinder as previously described or spray it into your air intake with the motor running until it dies. I've used this on boat motors for years.

hate to hear about the fire. I don't have any storage issues as I live in Florida, but sounds like you have gotten good advice. I have a large shed 16x24, if you like you can store them here..even let you ride them on weekends!!

Back