free website stats program Finally Have My Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally Have My Harley

TheJudge

It took a while, but I finally have my first bike - a '91 Sportster 1200. It's all stock. I want to modifiy it as much as I can including forward controls (they are a must for me.) I ride it to and from work 120 miles round trip every day.

Any suggestions?

To TheJudge welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Regarding forwards, the world is your oyster, Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, JP Cycles, Kuryakin, and many others provide forwards in all manners of styles and finishes. But I do suggest you keep the mid position footrests, as they come in handy when riding on dirt gravel mountain roads or in construction zones.

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Congrats on your fist Harley. I doubt it will be your last. Regardless of how you decide to customize your bike, just allow you & your bike to become 1. As already mentioned, you have several choices when it comes to customizing, and always be sure to check ebay.

Welcome to the forum Judge! My suggestion is to buy a genuine HD service manual for your bike. The money you save by knowing the proper procedures and doing it yourself will go a long way towards getting the bike just how you want it.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. Can't beat this group for all the info you would ever want.

Welcome to the forum Judge! My suggestion is to buy a genuine HD service manual for your bike. The money you save by knowing the proper procedures and doing it yourself will go a long way towards getting the bike just how you want it.
And on top of the money you save, you will have some quality time with your bike. :s

Welcome to the Forum and your new bike, Like NEWHD said think about keeping your mids as well it gives you a trade off along with the forward pegs for those long rides JMO, Capital Jack:s

A larger tank may also be a good idea there is lots of stuff available out there for the solid mount evo sportsters
If it hasnt been touched much it may be worth replacing the rubber mount under the battery tray as they get weak after a wee while and the full weight of the battery will pull on the 2 mounts on the oil tank and may split the tank

Brian

Welcome and congradulations. Take your time and make any changes as you get a feel for your bike. Forward controls are nice. 120 mile commute won't take too long to think about a new seat. I've got a few. Lepera's bare bones is a nice solo. Also have a Drag Specialties Predator that isn't bad and lets me sit a little further back.

Depending on the weather and conditions, maybe look into a quick disconnect windshield.

Maybe some saddle bags for a little bit of storage?

There certainly isn't a shortage of things you can buy to make it your own. Don't expect to get much if anything back on resale though. And while you may feel like you'll want to keep that Sporty for ever, by the time you get the bike set up just the way you like it, something else comes along to peak your interest. Don't get me wrong, a lot of folks that move on from their Sporty still have an urge for another.

Some of us just can't be satisfied with the bike we have.

Cheers.

:D

PS. Being a 91, maybe switch out some of the fluids and start fresh. Oil is easy and likely done but, the primary/tranny, fork oil etc. They all have a limited life and some things get over looked. You'll notice a big difference for something that is so minor.

Tell us a little bit about how you're liking the bike and post some pics when you get a chance.

Hello Judge, Have fun with your first bike. I just bought my first bike last December and I had a very fun time customizing my ride. All the above advice is solid, other than I would suggest a rubber mounted gas tank as well. I found that the vibration will be way less. If you want me to lead you to the one I purchased, let me know and I will assist in any way that I can.

Back