free website stats program Finally got the TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally got the TFI

horizonchaser

Contributor
Just wanted to let everyone know that after reading countless endorsements on this forum on Dobeck TFI's, I finally had one installed. I had viewed R_W_B's most informative video and thought for sure it had to be mounted under the tank. That was one of the first questions that I asked the indy, "Where are you going to place it?". When he said under the cover on the high side, I thought that maybe he wasn't going to do it correctly. When I got home and read the plastic box instructions that the TFI came in they clearly state "under the seat or side cover if necessary". I had much anticipation all day at work. Couldn't wait to get off work and pick her up.
She was definitely more sprite. Nothing that blew me away but the throttle response was good. The exhaust sounded a bit different. I can't explain it. I don't know how the MPG's are going to be as I have only ridden it home and the next day has been all rain.
I am hoping to get the cooler engine that has been spoken of here. That would certainly be a plus.
All I know is I was riding faster than I usually ride on my 17 mile ride home. Neither me or the bike were complaining!! :D
Thanks all!

I also just installed one last week. I bought it from Steve07 and am glad I did. You will be very happy with it. As far as mpg goes? I don't usually pay attention. When gauge hits 1/4, I get gas. Also had lots of rain here so hard to test.

Yea that's the way mine rode only I could feel the difference in heat pretty evident. Don't know what I said in my video but I put mine under the seat. The cables do run under the tank along the backbone up to the injectors.

Anyhow you will like that Gen2. It's like those kitchen items that Ron Popeal sells. You just Set It And Forget It.

I used to burn my legs backing it up...now, it's just sort of semi-uncomfortable (that's a big improvement). The same or a hair better mpg. Better low rpm oomph. Just better all around.

I also just installed one last week. I bought it from Steve07 and am glad I did. You will be very happy with it. As far as mpg goes? I don't usually pay attention. When gauge hits 1/4, I get gas. Also had lots of rain here so hard to test.
Yeah, you sort of gave me the final push to go ahead and just order one. I agree about the gas mileage. When it gets low, I start looking'.

Yea that's the way mine rode only I could feel the difference in heat pretty evident. Don't know what I said in my video but I put mine under the seat. The cables do run under the tank along the backbone up to the injectors.

Anyhow you will like that Gen2. It's like those kitchen items that Ron Popeal sells. You just Set It And Forget It.
You did an outstanding job from what I saw in the video. That is what made me inquire as to where he was going to install mine. When he said on the high side under the panel, I thought to myself "Uh oh, that ain't the way R_W_B did his", so I was a little concerned that the indy might not be as meticulous as you were. Also, I liked Glider's suggestion about not putting the tie wraps on too tight on the backbone, given all the movement that will occur on the bike. I can only hope that all is well and so far all is well! :s

I used to burn my legs backing it up...now, it's just sort of semi-uncomfortable (that's a big improvement). The same or a hair better mpg. Better low rpm oomph. Just better all around.
That's what I was looking for, better low RPM oomph. I'll take the benefit of a cooler engine too. :s

You did an outstanding job from what I saw in the video. That is what made me inquire as to where he was going to install mine. When he said on the high side under the panel, I thought to myself "Uh oh, that ain't the way R_W_B did his", so I was a little concerned that the indy might not be as meticulous as you were. Also, I liked Glider's suggestion about not putting the tie wraps on too tight on the backbone, given all the movement that will occur on the bike. I can only hope that all is well and so far all is well! :s

Yea I guess there are different options on the touring bikes with the panels. With my Dyna by the time I stuffed all my wires back into the area under the seat, I just barely had room to get the TFI on top (under the seat). Course I've got the double Duetsch accy split connector in there running my Lenale fan and a future GPS unit.

That's good advice on the wires from Glider. I keep my wires kinda snug though (not tight tight). Don't know much about a touring bike but the Dynas engines are tied off tight at the top of the engine to the backbone (with the stabilizer bolt). So the top of the engine is not going to flex. The bottom will flex a very small amount down at the motor mounts. The only place where I have any real flexure in the wires is where the handlebar wiring leaves the frame and hooks to the trees.

You are gonna love the TFI, I know I do.

Yea I guess there are different options on the touring bikes with the panels. With my Dyna by the time I stuffed all my wires back into the area under the seat, I just barely had room to get the TFI on top (under the seat). Course I've got the double Duetsch accy split connector in there running my Lenale fan and a future GPS unit.

That's good advice on the wires from Glider. I keep my wires kinda snug though (not tight tight). Don't know much about a touring bike but the Dynas engines are tied off tight at the top of the engine to the backbone (with the stabilizer bolt). So the top of the engine is not going to flex. The bottom will flex a very small amount down at the motor mounts. The only place where I have any real flexure in the wires is where the handlebar wiring leaves the frame and hooks to the trees.

You are gonna love the TFI, I know I do.
I can see where it can get a little crowded in there. You're gonna love the GPS. Especially if you like to get lost on the bike in parts unknown and then need to find a gas station!
I never doubted for a moment that your fastening of the wires would be comprimised.
Glad you like the TFI R_W_B, it is from knowledgeable members such as yourself that help influence me into trying new things on my bike. I enter into these mods somewhat confident that I have made the right decision based on the trust I have in those aforementioned members. :s
Again, thanks!
Jim

. . . . . You're gonna love the GPS. Especially if you like to get lost on the bike in parts unknown and then need to find a gas station! . . . . . .. . . . .

Yep that's me on long PGR destinations. Have to stop a few times on the way and pull out the map from my pocket and compare to road signs. In fact one of those times might have saved my neck, since I stopped at a store, pulled out my map and notice this guy next to me is pointing down at my rear tire. I look down and it's totally flat. Never really felt anything different except that the engine seemed to be pulling harder.

Coming home is no problem, but getting there (on time) is sometimes. I use GPS in the cage, so I know how great it can be.

Later Jim.......... Dave

Back