free website stats program Final tire question...I promise.....maybe | Harley Davidson Forums

Final tire question...I promise.....maybe

Adamal47

So I was shopping for tires and I have a question. If both my front and rear tire are 130/90/16 then why is there a difference between front and rear tire. Can I just put a front tire on the rear and save a few bucks? What's the difference?
WAP.gif

Understand that it can be done as long as the tires physically fit and the direction of the rear tire is reversed. Something to do with the difference between the front and back pulling and pushing.

But looking at the Dunlop site, and assuming you are talking about the D402, their rear tires have a higher load capacity, slightly larger diameter, and deeper tread. The front tread depth is 5/32" on each model while the rear has either 9/32" or 11/32". From experience, the rear tire wears out faster, even with the deeper tread, than the front.

So, looks like you could run a front tire on the rear, where it was not designed, to save money initially and then replace it more often than you otherwise would. I'd think the economics are against you plus whatever safety issues (which are not being addressed) would arise.

Just my 2¢. Your bike, you decide.

Mine aren't the same but I would imagine that the weight rating would have to be different.

I've seen people run rears on the front after reversing direction arrow. But the front to rear switch I have not seen.

Tires anymore are a multi-compound and the rear has a harder centre for wear and softer sidewalls for grip,the front tire is usually made of a harder compound than the rear.I would put a rear on the front,but not the front on the rear.

Tires anymore are a multi-compound and the rear has a harder centre for wear and softer sidewalls for grip,the front tire is usually made of a harder compound than the rear.I would put a rear on the front,but not the front on the rear.

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks guys for your help.
WAP.gif

I have in the past seen tyres that were designed to be either front or rear but the direction of rotation had to be reversed due to the difference in loading between front and rear
modern tyres are a wee bit more advanced and for safety should be fitted in the appropriate place
a good matched set of tyres may make the difference between going down or staying upright in some circumstances

Brian

Back