free website stats program Final drive belt | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Final drive belt

Spare emergency belt...That's right!. If you're worried, buy the emergency belt. We were on a ride this past Monday (dealers are all closed). One of the guy's belts fell off right in front of me. Peeled off like a black cobra snake. He coasted to the side of the road. Then out of no where, Dan (the man) pulled out a split emergency belt from his saddle bag. 14 of us out for the million mile ride and no one (not even the old timers) had ever heard of this belt. It just snakes onto the sprockets and screws hold it together. Cost about $100 (of course) and he was able to limp home without a tow. Most of us are going to get one and let it sit in a loop at the bottom of the saddle bag. You do need a few tools to remove the belt guard 7/8" nut driver (not necessary but it helped), and it helped to loosen the rear wheel a bit to get the belt screwed together and then pull the wheel back to tighten it. We were all blown away..Dan's the man, we are still in disbelief. Who'd a thunk!

I saw that item in the HD P&A candy store book and never really thought anyone had used it. You sold me...:newsmile020:

I just broke one a couple of weeks ago on my classic. Rode from flagstaff Az. to the grand canyon. Stopped in the little town there and backed out of where I was parked and when I put it in first gear heard a load bang and the belt was laying on the ground right there.Had to get towed back to Flagstaff and had a new belt on by closing time. About $650. I had change the belt about 25000 miles ago because the original had a tear about 3/8 of an inch on one edge. I tried to break that one but couldn't. This one that broke had a small rock hole in the center. Wifes ultra has had a small hole in it for the 15000 miles we've owne it.

Back