free website stats program Final drive belt deflection spec | Harley Davidson Forums

Final drive belt deflection spec

khahn

Just picked up a 2014 Fat Bob, love the bike, but the dealer prep left something to be desired. Anyway, as I was going over the bike to make sure every thing was kosher, I checked to belt tension using my handy dandy HD belt tension checking tool. According to my 2013 service manual, the belt should deflect 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch with 10 lbs pressure applied. Is this still a valid spec for the 2014's? Mine deflected almost a full inch....pretty sure that's too loose.

Not sure what the '14's spec. is but I would check my owners manual.....Then I would order a service manual. Both are invaluable IMO.

I don't use a tool. If I can rotate the belt to a 45* angle with my thumb and forefinger, I call it good. If it rotates more than 45*; too loose. If it won't rotate 45*;too tight. Caveman style but it has worked for me for years.:D

I would take Bodeen's advice however and pick up the Harley SM for your model; best tool in your tool box.

Not sure what the '14's spec. is but I would check my owners manual.....Then I would order a service manual. Both are invaluable IMO.

I agree, I have a 2013 dyna service manual that is probably valid for my 2014. As far as the owners manual, I just noticed they gave me an owners manual for a 2013, guess I'll go back and ask for a 2014 manual.

Back