Filter

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by chuck60, May 28, 2012.

1. chuck60

chuck60 Active Member

The 09 road king I just bought has a stage 1, are the round filters reusable, and if so, how do you clean them and do you have to spray them.

Thanks, Charlie

2. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

If you have a Harley filter like the SE model, they are washable with warm, soapy water.
    Do not spray the Harley filter with an oil.

That is for the K&N filter and a different animal.

The video (must be an old one) was misleading as he said the filters would crumble if washed. The SE filters don't. They are washable.

If you have a K&N filter, it should have the name on it, then you can wash and oil.
    K&N only.

I have the SE air filter and I wash and dry, then reuse.

3. 89stroker

89stroker Active Member

For the SE filter, I use the K&N cleaner to dissolve the dirt, then gently run water from clean side to dirty side to rinse everything away, then let dry naturally.

4. markwolumla

markwolumla New Member

Gusotto. O no, I just cleaned my filter with the K % N kit, ie, oiled it. I have a round filter that I thought was a K&N filter. I thought something was a miss , as the filter had no markings of manufactuer on it. So it must be the SE filter. So is the SE filter i applied oil to need to be replaced, or can I degrease it , wash it in soapy water , let it dry , and all is ok ??? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  5. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

The instructions in my Harley SE A/C kit stated it did not need to be oiled.
    Caught me by surprise because I have a K&N on my Sportster and was expecting a need to oil.

One less thing to oil.....

I went out and checked my filter (I was going to clean it anyway) and it has the H-D bar and shield stamped on the metal housing with message
    "For H-D Twin Cam Covers Only"
    "Dry filter"
    "Do not oil"

I'd guess if it doesn't have anything marked on the filter, you might not have a Harley filter.(They love to put their name on everything).