filter question

Discussion in 'Oil' started by softail00, Sep 7, 2009.

1. softail00

softail00 Active Member

How much oil will I loose if I take my oil filter off to tighten a couple of oil cooler hose clamps?

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

didn"t make um so you could tighten them with out taking filter off ? maybe 10 oz maybe more

3. softail00

softail00 Active Member

I slightly dented the top of the oil filter taking it off is this a problem or should I just get another one.

4. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

get another

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Use the dented one until it's convenient to get another. No sense waisting money, a slight dent is not going to affect anything inside the filter.

6. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i agree with BUD
    compare the cost of a new filter vs. the cost of a engine rebuild

7. Breeze3at

And how is a dent going to possibly cause need for an engine rebuild? It's pleated paper stuffed into a can, there is way more surface area than required for sufficient flow. H.D. filters are as big or bigger as the filters on either of my V6 autos. If the mounting surface isn't deformed no harm. I believe in being cautious, and also don't like tossing money away. I could be wrong here, give me your wildest worst case scenario to open my eyes. Please read above as written respectfully, not inflammatory. Thanks

8. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i'm not taking that chance, i can't positively yes its going to cause harm to your engine main thing that concerned me about the dent is the anti-drain back valve not seating right because of the dent knocking everything out of wack hey breeze i understand what your saying about saving a dollar when you can, but i'll just not eat out all week to make up the diff and buy a new H-D oil filter

9. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

dime size / finger dent or a half dollar crush ? how long has it been since last oil change ?

10. Breeze3at

Point taken.:)