free website stats program filter question | Harley Davidson Forums

filter question

softail00

How much oil will I loose if I take my oil filter off to tighten a couple of oil cooler hose clamps?

didn"t make um so you could tighten them with out taking filter off ? maybe 10 oz maybe more

I slightly dented the top of the oil filter taking it off is this a problem or should I just get another one.

Use the dented one until it's convenient to get another. No sense waisting money, a slight dent is not going to affect anything inside the filter.

And how is a dent going to possibly cause need for an engine rebuild? It's pleated paper stuffed into a can, there is way more surface area than required for sufficient flow. H.D. filters are as big or bigger as the filters on either of my V6 autos. If the mounting surface isn't deformed no harm. I believe in being cautious, and also don't like tossing money away. I could be wrong here, give me your wildest worst case scenario to open my eyes. Please read above as written respectfully, not inflammatory. Thanks

i'm not taking that chance, i can't positively yes its going to cause harm to your engine main thing that concerned me about the dent is the anti-drain back valve not seating right because of the dent knocking everything out of wack hey breeze i understand what your saying about saving a dollar when you can, but i'll just not eat out all week to make up the diff and buy a new H-D oil filter

Back