free website stats program Fillng tank on 09 FL's | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fillng tank on 09 FL's

After filling my bike from both sides and trying the McCuff too, I've concluded the best approach is to fuel my '09 Ultra from the left side. I not impressed with the McCuff either; I've sloshed out more gas with it than using nothing, so it's now collecting dust in my garage. I now fill from my bike's left side and place the nozzle in the tank pointing to about the 2 o'clock position. I can fully fill my tank if it slow down the nozzle rate towards the end and then click it just a few more times. However, some nozzles are problems no matter what approach you take.

Tried the McCuff, did not work at all for me. Actually read the instructions:lolrolling, same results. Fill from the left, nozzle pointing at 1:00 to 2:00 position, slow down as it fills.

I'm with jaboiam. I fill my tank exactly the same way. No problem as long as you don't pull the trigger all the way until it clicks off...try that and you'll get you and the bike both real wet!

I live in the paternalistic People's Republic of California so we have had those nozzle thingies for a long time. Like others, I have found that filling up the tank slowly works best. Otherwise, the gas splashes out or the pump turns off prematurely, or both. Standing on the left side of the bike with the nozzle pointed at roughly the 2:00 position seems to work best on my 05 Wing and my 09 Road Glide.

I thought about buying the McCuff but figured that it was just something else to carry around. And, by the time I got it out of the saddlebag, I could have filled up using the slow method.

The only time i have that problem is if the nozzel is a bit sticky in the handle. I usually go to the same filling station and use the same pump every time. On my favorite pump i can fill it all the way up with no spills. I ran out of gas one day about a mile from the staion and when i filled up i got just over 6 gallons without and spills. (I love that pump). If you go to the same place try onther pump and make sure the pump inspection stiker isn't more tan a year old. If the pump hasn't been checked in over a year go to another filling station..

I don't mind leaving the gas tank with a couple of cups left to completely full. I mean really how often do you run 200 miles straight without stopping anyway? As for the cuff thing, to me it's just one more thing to pack and unpack, by the time I get the thing out, use it, wipe it off and put it back I could've taken the extra time to fill the tank slowly and filled it up.

I fill slow and be as careful as I can. I carry some paper towels in one of the bags to wipe off the tank if I spill, too many stations don't fill there towel dispencers. The Mc thing sounds great but them you have to carry a soemthing with gas on it with you.

I'd rather just be carerful

I fill slow and be as careful as I can. The Mc thing sounds great but them you have to carry a soemthing with gas on it with you.
I'd rather just be carerful

I couldn't agree more. A few seconds longer and don't worry about getting maximum (a few ounces) fill VS carrying a gas soaked apparatus with you. I just don't get that. Just fill it till it stops and ride. Wouldn't you rather be riding than getting thast last ounce in? :rider Really, what do the last few ounces offer? If you ride till the last ounce than you have other issues! LOL!:D :small3d023:

I fill mine from the right side with the bars turned stop-left. It takes about 45 secs. to a minute to fill completely and don't spill a drop. I agree that the McCuff is just an attempt to make money. (I wish I had thought of it!)

Back