FI v. Carb and what models have what?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by SCGamecock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SCGamecock

SCGamecock Member

Hey guys I am not sure if I should post this here or in the engine section. I am shopping for my first Harley and am looking at the Road King for my size. I have heard good and bad things about the FI motors. Which do you guys prefer? When was the switch to FI? What are the advantages\disadvantages?

I have heard that FI bikes hurt the doit yourselfer. Example: you can only do slip ons and not full exhaust due to the PCM needing to be reflashed. True???

Thanks
    Wade

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I believe that 04 was the last year that included some FLHR bikes. I would advise to stay clear of the early FI bikes. Nothing wrong with the later FI bikes. Plenty of options for you to tune the fuel injection with a multitude of devices for varying amounts of money. I too shopped specifically for a carb'ed bike and I do not regret it. I love my carb. That being said the carb'ed bikes are getting older and harder to find in decent shape. If I ever buy another bagger it will most probably be FI. Check out the self help section and you can read study for days on the carb/FI topic.

Roll Tide!

4. 89 FXRS

89 FXRS Active Member

01 and older used the Magna Morelli injection system which in my opinon
    was not worth a grian of salt - but from 02 and up they went to the Delphi system which if I'm not mistaken is the same FI system that
    gm products use and has proven to be a very good system.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Even thought it was always fun seeing if I could rebuild a carb w/no spare parts...FI bikes are the way to go (IMO). All you need, for the DIY maint., is add a tuner.

6. PatFLH

PatFLH Member

Hi SC.. I have an 02 RoadKing Classic FLHRCI that is FI and I Love it. I put a Vance & Hines true Dual exhaust on without remapping. I am a Mech by trade and don't want to work on my Bike on days off.. Just Ride... Just my opinion