free website stats program FI Tune / Dyno Question | Harley Davidson Forums

FI Tune / Dyno Question

VanIsland

I have stage 1 done on my bike but it has never been tuned - I'm going in for a tune on the 21st.
My question is:
What exactly does dyno do, I understand that tuning the injection optimizes fuel mixture, is dyno like an optimizer? Should I get both done? I value all of your experiences and input.

ps, my 7 year old daughter chose the smiley
:mgun

The dyno that is typically used are inertia dyno's. They really can only tell you what your calculated H.P. and Torque are under WOT. Since they operate and measure by mass acceleration, you can not tune cruise A/F ratio ranges, that is to say holding a steady 2K 3K 4K RPM because you can not apply and Hold a friction load of road resistance & wind. To perform that kind of tuning requires a power absorption unit that you will find with a pony brake or water brake dyno.

Using an inertia dyno, the tech can adjust A/F ratio's & spark advance under WOT and maximize the values to achieve peak HP & Torque for your engine. Your A/F ratio's and spark advance will be optimized for WOT conditions.

The dyno that is typically used are inertia dyno's. They really can only tell you what your calculated H.P. and Torque are under WOT. Since they operate and measure by mass acceleration, you can not tune cruise A/F ratio ranges, that is to say holding a steady 2K 3K 4K RPM because you can not apply and Hold a friction load of road resistance & wind. To perform that kind of tuning requires a power absorption unit that you will find with a pony brake or water brake dyno.

Using an inertia dyno, the tech can adjust A/F ratio's & spark advance under WOT and maximize the values to achieve peak HP & Torque for your engine. Your A/F ratio's and spark advance will be optimized for WOT conditions.
Hoople, forgive me - what is WOT?

I just got off the phone with my Sheriff friend down in Az. His question was on his stage one.

You can do one or the other, (air or exhaust) was said to him by a HD shop tech.. Yes I said, that is Correct!

If you do both air and exhaust, it will run to lean, way to lean. Correct again...

HD suggested to add a SE tuner for about $550 installed.. No not Correct!

I suggested he go with the TFI from dobecks, and accomplish the same thing that the 550 tuner will do for his bike.

Besides, he qualifies for a 100$ discount from TFI, as he being a Sheriff.

The HD shop has no dyno to use so they would only be putting in a "can" program so why spend that kind of money when DOBECKS TFI will do the job NEEDED and for a lot less$$.

He decided to order and install the TFI when it gets in.

I suggested since he doesn't have the air on yet, that he tear into the air side first, taking it all off the bike. Being open now, it is easy for the TFI installation. when TFI is on THEN put the new air backing plate and new air parts on and he is finished...

My TFI was easy to install and works great on my 09 FLHR .. Setting at first to their suggested settings, It ran fine. Later adjustments proved the suggested ones worked the best I ended up right where they said to set the TFI in the first place. I don't have the lean condition that was there and My bike runs great. THANKS TFI

Hope my sheriff friend get his bike running as well as I did mine..

Now, How About Yours?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I am new to the fuel injection and harley scene - so I do not understand the acronyms and jargon....

TFI - is that Tune Fuel Injection?

SE Tuner?

I'm taking my ride to a very reputable shop with an excellent tech. Should I let the shop do the full meal deal? (fi tune and dyno) and then purchase a Dobecks later.... I'm a bit confused by what I should do -

-Van Island

:panic

Bubbie, I am new to the fuel injection and harley scene - so I do not understand the acronyms and jargon....

TFI is translusion fuel injection.

TFI unit by dobecks that will richen your fuel just like the SE tuner does.
se tuners (a harley race part) are usually put on bikes with a lot of mods. not just a stage one like yours, but will do a good job if set-up right. 500$ plus set-up as compared to 255$ for TFI and a mechanical guy can install and set his own..

You said you were comfortable with the people doing the work on your bike and if you want my opinion. Now, I would go the "full meal deal" and be happy when you ride it home. and I know you will smile!

A lot of this repair stuff can be done by the owners of their own bikes but If not, a good trusted dealer or shop will suffice.

Let us know how it works when you get it done.

signed....BUBBIE

VanIsland; nice smiley (BTW)...tell your 7-yr-old she did good.

Listen to Bubbie - he's a wise man. Do the TFI from Dobeck & you'll have the ability to fine tune your ride for any upgrades. Put mine on the 09 SG in ~2-hrs, but I'm a perfectionist b/c I like to run wires into "hidden" areas & mounted the box where I can access/see while tuning. Std settings work good for me right now, but will change over the weekend when I install my new LA Chopper breather. I like having this capability & tuning is so easy - just go to their website & watch the video...you'll be sold.:D

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Here are some definitions for the components that make upthe EFI system. BAS = bank angle sensor this sensor will activate if the bike leans more then 45% and shut down the efi system.... CKP = crank position sensor= this sensor let the engine know how fast the engine is runing ( rpm) the ECM uses this to determin what stroke the engine is in so it can deliver fuel and spark to the desired time......ECM= electronic control module= this is the heart of the system it collects all the data from all the sensors and sends the output signals to deliver fuel and spark to the engine......ET= engine tempeture sensor= this sensor does what it says it tells the ECM weather you are in warming up mode or running temp. the 12v FUEL PUMP= delivers the fuel under pressure to the = FUEL INJECTORS= these are high pressure valves that open and close that deliver fuel directly to the valves.they are controlled buy out put signals from the ECM to deliver the fuel at a precise time. Fuel PRESSURE REGULATOR= a mechanical device that controls the fuel pressure to 55-62 psi by returning excess fuel from the fuel pump back to the tank. IAC =IDLE AIR CONTROL a electrical valve and controlled by out put signals of the ECM to open and close as needed to provide enough air to the engine for starting and and idle operations . IAT= INTAKE AIR TEMPETURE=this signal provides input signals to the ecm as it reacts to tempeture of the air entering the engine. this sensor helps the ecm calculate how mich oxygen excists in a certain amount of air. ION SENSING SYSTEM= this uses this type of technology to detect detonation or engine misfire in both cylenders by monerting the electrical energy at the spark plugs following every timed spark ,if a abnormal level of energy is detected by the ecm across 2-3 sparks the ecm will respond by retarding the timing MAP sensor= Manifold Abolute Pressure sensor= this sensor provides input signals to the ecm and reacts to the intake manifold pressure and ambient barometric tempeture .intake manifold pressure reflects changes in engine speed and load.ambient baro pressure reflects changes in atmospheric pressure caused by weather conditions or by altitude . the ecm uses this to calculate how much air is entering the engine .TP= throttle Position sensor = this sensor provides input signals to the ecm as it reacts to the twist of the throttle telling the ecm the throttle position and how fast the throttle is opening and closing ....VSS Vehicle speed sensor= this sensor provides input signals to the ecm to indicate wether the bike is moving or sitting still , it assists the control of the idle speed .......Im sure my spelling here has many errors but just wanted to help people when reading posts understand the definition of certain sensors relatated to EfI bikes ,I think I got carried awey just wanted to give the definition and ended up trying to explain what these sensors due sorry for the long post........

Back