free website stats program few weeks i just purchase 08 glide classic got few questions | Harley Davidson Forums

few weeks i just purchase 08 glide classic got few questions

XBAJBUSX

ok about 2 months i got my self 2008 electra glide classic (with 2300miles) its my first HD.i owned lots of jap bike before ..my first question is oil changes how many quarts of oil i need (i run amsoil in everythink ) i know i have to use 20-50w i use to have a vtx 1800 you had to put 2 quarts in start the bike up for 30 sec and put the rest in any tricks i should know on oil changes.what weight oil goes to tranny ?when i change the oil would i be able to tell the drain plug from oil and tranny fluid ?(dont want to drain the wrong one ).anything else i should about the bike .so far i love the bike and cruiser with six gear its great,i ride alot i put about 15k to 25k miles a year help me out here so i have this bike runing for long time

First of all, you really need to get a hold of the service manual for your year and model bike. Most of your questions can be answered there.

Second, spend some time on this forum's Quick Links Tips Forums up towards the top of your screen. TONS of good info here. Here's a link to just the oil topics:

Oil Related Tips [Archive] - Harley Davidson Community

Good luck and welcome!

ok about 2 months i got my self 2008 electra glide classic (with 2300miles) its my first HD.i owned lots of jap bike before ..my first question is oil changes how many quarts of oil i need (i run amsoil in everythink ) i know i have to use 20-50w i use to have a vtx 1800 you had to put 2 quarts in start the bike up for 30 sec and put the rest in any tricks i should know on oil changes.what weight oil goes to tranny ?when i change the oil would i be able to tell the drain plug from oil and tranny fluid ?(dont want to drain the wrong one ).anything else i should about the bike .so far i love the bike and cruiser with six gear its great,i ride alot i put about 15k to 25k miles a year help me out here so i have this bike runing for long time

You never put more than 3 quarts in that bike without warming it up and checking the level first before adding the extra 1/2 quart then.

In the trans, use a gear oil, not engine oil. Spectro platinum is an excellent choice. More in the oil section using the link posted above.

The oil drain plug is the one to the front of the oil pan facing forward just aft of the stand. The trans is facing down on the other side of the bike in the oil pan.
There's pics and videos in that forum link above also for this.

82d1183833195-changing_your_own_oil-touring_oil_pan.jpg

You never put more than 3 quarts in that bike without warming it up and checking the level first before adding the extra 1/2 quart then.

In the trans, use a gear oil, not engine oil. Spectro platinum is an excellent choice. More in the oil section using the link posted above.

The oil drain plug is the one to the front of the oil pan facing forward just aft of the stand. The trans is facing down on the other side of the bike in the oil pan.
There's pics and videos in that forum link above also for this.

82d1183833195-changing_your_own_oil-touring_oil_pan.jpg

My '04 Road King takes 4 qt. with the filter change. I have been using the 20-50 synthetic. It's also good for the tranny and the primary. It is recommended for the high output HD engines, all the Sreaming Eagle engines come from the factory with it.
JJRJ

My '04 Road King takes 4 qt. with the filter change. I have been using the 20-50 synthetic. It's also good for the tranny and the primary. It is recommended for the high output HD engines, all the Sreaming Eagle engines come from the factory with it.
JJRJ

You're correct that it takes 4 quarts but unless you are filling a dry/new engine, you'll never get 4 Qts in there with what is left in the engine oil galleries without over filling it.
Much easier to add oil than to remove it.

I also wouldn't use a 20/50 motor oil in the trans and especially the Syn 3 oil. Not even Harley recommends it there except for a few dealers that are selling it.

JJRJ

Take a look around in here:

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

There are some very good recommendations found there.

Firstly, use a FULL synthetic MOTOR oil (NOT SYN3) in the engine. Fill the tank to the "low" line on the dip stick, run the engine to operating temp, and then top up the tank to the "full" mark.

Secondly, use a full synthetic gear lube 75W-90 or 75W-140 in the tranny depending on temps in your area. If your tranny is a 6-spd, try Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil. It is a GL-5 lube.

Finally, in the primary, use a fit-for-purpose oil like Formula Plus (HD) or Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil (an 85W oil).

That should make your bike happy!!

TQ

I cant cram 4 quarts into my 08 RKC .. and no no on the 20/50 in all 3 holes esp if its the harley junk

Secondly, use a full synthetic gear lube 75W-90 or 75W-140 in the tranny depending on temps in your area. If your tranny is a 6-spd, try Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil. It is a GL-5 lube.

TQ

6 speeds only came out on the baggers in 07

Take a look around in here:

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

There are some very good recommendations found there.

Firstly, use a FULL synthetic MOTOR oil (NOT SYN3) in the engine. Fill the tank to the "low" line on the dip stick, run the engine to operating temp, and then top up the tank to the "full" mark.

Finally, in the primary, use a fit-for-purpose oil like Formula Plus (HD) or Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil (an 85W oil).

That should make your bike happy!!

TQ

Mine seems to be real happy with the Harley synthetic 20-50. It has 57,000+ miles on it and no problems. And right on the label it says for use in the primary and the tranny, and like I said...no problems...smooth shifting and no primary problems, oh ya, 6 speeds weren't available on a stock Harley til '07. I had a 6 speed gear set put in my '04 Road King and love it. With all the engine mods (1550 high output) it has the power to pull 6th gear at 55 or 60. Also had the auto chain tensioner installed, I still check it at regular intervals but just one less thing to adjust. I'd say a good synthetic works pretty well. The oil level stays on the full mark and is fairly clean between oil changes. It's nice to buy a case of it and not have 3 or 4 different lubricants to mess with. So I'd say the amount of trouble free miles pretty well speaks for itself.
JJRJ

You're correct that it takes 4 quarts but unless you are filling a dry/new engine, you'll never get 4 Qts in there with what is left in the engine oil galleries without over filling it.
Much easier to add oil than to remove it.

I also wouldn't use a 20/50 motor oil in the trans and especially the Syn 3 oil. Not even Harley recommends it there except for a few dealers that are selling it.

Glider, after reading the self help tips on oil recomendations, I can see you've done your homework. Maybe I can make my '04 RK even happier with the lubricants you recommend. I understand now why HD dealers recommend the synthetic in all 3 holes....they sell it....and they repair them when something does go south. But, like I said earlier, with 57,000+ on the odometer it still shifts smooth and takes very little tranny warm up time, and the engine oil is still at or near the full mark and fairly clean when drained at the recomended intervals. But if there's something better, then that's what I should be using in a 1550 HO engine. I just hope the availability is not a problem in my area. I did put Spectro's web site in my favorites and if I can't find what I need locally, I will order it over the internet.
Thanks for all your good advice.
JJRJ

Back