free website stats program Ferries | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ferries

I take the Orient Point ferry all the time. No worries about the bike falling over. Never have to worry about getting locked out if the ferry is full of cars and trucks, they tuck the bikes into corners. Take the Port Jeff ferry a few times also, same deal. It's a nice boat rip and avoids all the traffic going west to go east.

I been across Lake Michigan a few times & never had a problem , it can get a little rough so you have to tie down the bike , it is about 2 1/2 hour ride @ 45 mph .

We ride the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver (BC Canada) & back and it is pretty uneventful. Bikes are first on and first off and, during the voyage, they put a chock under the opposite side to the kickstand for stability. Of course you'll want to have it in gear! One guy had his BMW on the centre stand and it was a rockin'!!! The car attendant PA'ed the rider to come down and put his bike on the side stand and chock it! We sat with our bikes in the car deck and listened to all the car alarms go off!

Crossed the Mississippi several times on my other bike, the only thing I have noticed is the metal loading ramp can be slick when it is wet. and leave it in gear when parked.

Pops

Living in Western Washington the ferry is the fastest way to get to Seattle and beyond. Never had a problem, bikes are first on and first off here. Good idea to leave it in gear though.

Crossed Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to Mushkegan on the high speed ferry. Just strapped them dowm with ratchet straps and had no issues.

Back