free website stats program Fender Bent During Hard Braking | Harley Davidson Forums

Fender Bent During Hard Braking

Sharky1948

OK, this one's a little weird. My 6'4", 195lb son just finished his MSF and we were practicing in a parking lot on a '07 XL1200C. We were doing some hard braking exercises when he heard a strange noise and then had the steering lock up. When we looked, the bottom rear of the front fender was hooked over and behind the voltage regulator! We had to remove the front fender and not-so-gently reshape it to get the front end to turn.

The only mods to the front-end are Progressive springs in the front and a very thin HD chrome cover on the voltage regulator (just the thickness of a thin sheet of metal.)

Admittedly he was really braking hard; but, I can't imagine that the front end would be designed with such close tolerances that a couple of mm of metal on the voltage regulator would cause the fender to hang up.

Any thoughts?????

Check the pre-load on the neck bearing. Are you getting that much movement forward and backward that would allow the fender to interfere with the VR? Check "fall-away" as described in your Factory Service Manual.

TQ

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at both of those.

Check the pre-load on the neck bearing. Are you getting that much movement forward and backward that would allow the fender to interfere with the VR? Check "fall-away" as described in your Factory Service Manual.

TQ

Sharky

Looks like Hobbit has you hooked up with the recall. Let Fritz fix it for you on the MOCO.:s

Thanks everyone!

I'll get the dealer to deal with it ASAP!

BTW, does MOCO not send safety oriented recall info to the owners? I am the original owner of this bike.

There's a lot of dealers that don't even review the recalls and bulletins until you bring up the issue you are having and the better ones check them at that time.

I always thought that safety recalls came straight from the MOCO to the person who bought the bike.:small3d023:

Back