Fender Bent During Hard Braking

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Sharky1948, May 12, 2009.

1. Sharky1948

Sharky1948 Junior Member

OK, this one's a little weird. My 6'4", 195lb son just finished his MSF and we were practicing in a parking lot on a '07 XL1200C. We were doing some hard braking exercises when he heard a strange noise and then had the steering lock up. When we looked, the bottom rear of the front fender was hooked over and behind the voltage regulator! We had to remove the front fender and not-so-gently reshape it to get the front end to turn.

The only mods to the front-end are Progressive springs in the front and a very thin HD chrome cover on the voltage regulator (just the thickness of a thin sheet of metal.)

Admittedly he was really braking hard; but, I can't imagine that the front end would be designed with such close tolerances that a couple of mm of metal on the voltage regulator would cause the fender to hang up.

Any thoughts?????

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Check the pre-load on the neck bearing. Are you getting that much movement forward and backward that would allow the fender to interfere with the VR? Check "fall-away" as described in your Factory Service Manual.

TQ

3. Sharky1948

Sharky1948 Junior Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at both of those.

4. TQuentin1

5. jims87flh

jims87flh Banned

Heck, I'd stop looking right there, and take it to the dealer to be fixed under the recall.:D

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Sharky

Looks like Hobbit has you hooked up with the recall. Let Fritz fix it for you on the MOCO.:s

7. Sharky1948

Sharky1948 Junior Member

Thanks everyone!

I'll get the dealer to deal with it ASAP!

BTW, does MOCO not send safety oriented recall info to the owners? I am the original owner of this bike.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

There's a lot of dealers that don't even review the recalls and bulletins until you bring up the issue you are having and the better ones check them at that time.

9. TQuentin1

Who?

TQ

10. Razorwyre

Razorwyre Member

I always thought that safety recalls came straight from the MOCO to the person who bought the bike.:small3d023: