free website stats program "FedEx" virus | Harley Davidson Forums

"FedEx" virus

The4opps1

Just as a "heads up", picked up a nasty virus this morning in an email. It was sent under the guise of "FedEx shipment" and the first part of the title that you can read starts with "your FedEx shipment was undeliverable......". Now oddly enough, while I normally don't get any FedEx shipments, as luck would have it I had ordered a few items from a company online that were to be shipped FedEx. I received one of the packages and expected the other sometime today. So naturally, when I saw the email, I opened it. As with most of these virus', it whacks your hard drive and then magically offers to fix it for the paltry sum of , whatever. Of course you need to provide your cradit card info and once you do that, not only will you not get a fix for the virus, but now your credit card is toast along with your computer. Anyway, got the computer kind of back online thanks to a malware program. but thought I'd give a "heads up".

Thanks for the heads-up. It is appreciated. I hope you get back to full steam soon.

Rich P

Thanks for the heads up. I've had a few of those in the past but I usually go back to the original shipping notice and tracking info. It would be nice to blast a virus back at the scammers.:mgun

There has been a lot of this type of malware over the last few years i have found that malwarebytes has been fairy good at removing this type of infection however it often needs to be run from safe mode as the virus prevents any virus removal apps to run
Norton power eraser is also fairly good as a last resort to remove this type of infection

Norton Power Eraser | Free Tool |Easily remove scamware that traditional virus scanning can’t detect

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Brian

These hackers can disguise pretty much any company's e-system(s). Best methods are to ensure you have good/current AV & malware SW, and don't open any e-mail you didn't solicit. For shipments - I look for the message from the company or vendor I ordered the product from which has the tracking# link.

Way too many bad people trying to breach data & my son's working on his IT IP degree so he can make tons of $$$ stopping them from gaining access.

You really need to run several pieces of software to do a through clean. CCleaner, Super AntiSpyware, Malware bytes and hitman pro, then follow up with a scan from your installed anti virus package. You should be in good shape after all that. After running all that, you will be surprised what you find.

Most, if not all of the time, I don't open anything I don't recognize. This time, circumstance got me. I had been looking for a FedEx shipment, and the email was sent from "FedEx customer support".....I did run Malwarebytes and it got me going. I will probably have to reinstall some other maintenance software and go from there. Not that it makes a difference, but this hit an old computer one that was going to be retired shortly. Thanks for all of the input.....

Fire Fox shows me a message this could be a scam, I do not open:s

Back