free website stats program FBW on 2008 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

FBW on 2008 Ultra Classic

Biffy08

I am replacing stock bars with apehangers and running all wiring including the FBW throttle assembly inside the handlebars. On the FBW assembly there is a 2 prong pin connector that is plugged into nothing. I am told this is for heated grips. Can someone confirm that and if I cut the connector off and dead end those wires will it affect the rest of the FBW?

My first question would be - "Do you absolutely need to cut the connector off?"

If it's a matter of the wiring not fitting into your new handlebars without removing the connector, then I'd go ahead and do it after confirming 100% that it won't affect anything else. Otherwise, I'd leave well enough alone and leave the connector as it is.

The plug is for heated grips.You can cut them.I did so on my 2010 RG.The wires are not hot if you don't have heated grip option.

I absolutely do have to cut the connector off to get it past the dimple of the 1" handlebar, although PAUL YAFFE himself told me that I would be able to use all stock wiring, without extending any of it, and run them through HIS 10" apehangers. I spoke with a HD shop yesterday and they told me they would not even attempt to internally wire any Ultra that was not getting at the a minimum 1.25" diameter handlebar. It sounds like, if all goes well:wall I will have the only :27: Ultra on the east coast with 1" internally wired handlebars! I am crossing my fingers!

Good luck I watched a friend of mine wiring new bars in an 2010 street glide never heard so much cursing come from him since ive known him and he does a lot of them.(this is 1 1/4 bars too)..I think after that bike they set the price at $850.00 ...

I had 3 people give me 3 different estimates. One was $300, another $540, and the last was $1200. The cheapest found out how much work was involved and gave me the excuse that he did not have the correct tools. The highest is an ex-HD dealership owner. I don't know what he has been smoking. :s

I am interested on how you will not need to extend any of the wiring for controls, or cables and brake hoses going to ape hangers?

There is enough wire under the fairing to go to 14s and not extend them ,I extended my brake and other cables for my 14s but 10s should be ok as long as they are not to wide. when you put the factory bars and 10 inch bars next to each other there is little diff but width and wrist angle the wrist angle for most is all they need.

It has been 2 weekends of work. But today should be the day I find out if I need to extend the brake. By eye it looks like it will work. I will keep you informed.:bigsmiley5:

I am interested on how you will not need to extend any of the wiring for controls, or cables and brake hoses going to ape hangers?

I did not have to extend any wiring nor brake lines. I was very surprised about the brake line!:59:

Back