free website stats program FATBOY wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

FATBOY wheels

lost06

Hey guys! I bought my 2006 FATBOY earlier this year ('08). I love the bike and have out about 8,000 miles on it in the last 6 months. Has anyone had a problem with the wheels and cross winds? The wind has really picked up this fall and the cross winds have actually scared me a few times. This is not my first bike so that is why I am asking. I like the solid wheels and have considered buying the chrome ones, but have recently thought about buying spokes. Any opinions???

Hello KingHeritage!
I have a 2007 Fatboy with solid wheels as well and I do not believe the wheels play into the wind blowing you around. I don't think any wheel type that is at highway speed would allow wind to pass through the wheels.

I have a windshield on my bike that I believe contributes most to the wind blown effect.

Just my two cents forth!!

Well Gentlemen,i hate to be the only voice of dissent.The first Harley i ever rode was a Fatboy-a test ride.We rode on a highway at about 60 mph and the whole time i was on it i could feel it performing a very gentle slalom down the road.I found it somewhat disconcerting,and the saleswoman with us confirmed my thoughts.She said it was to be expected with all that surface area presented side-on to the wind.
Fast forward somewhat to now.Two of my brothers have Fatboys.Whenever i ride them,i can asbolutely feel any crosswind because the bike moves around.I also own two bikes with spoked wheels and one with 3 spoke 'mags' and they also move around in crosswinds,but differently to the Fatties.My brothers agree with me also.We've swapped bikes and compared directly;and they've had to admit their Fatboys do feel slightly 'uneasy' when presented with a gentle crosswind that had no effect on another bike.Believe me,this was an admission they were loathe to make-NOTHING about their Fatboys is negative!:D
Except their reactions to crosswinds.

Solid wheels not an issue, but high tail pack, fairings (streamlined for the front, not the side), and no crosswind flow thru due to bags and rider blocking direct openings (aerodynamics of a sail sheet from the side) no surprise crosswind gusts cause problems with big touring bikes. :28:

My Fatboy does not blow around any worse than any other bike I had.

The dealer tells me the 2008 with the holes in the wheels don't blow around. I can't see how those little holes help anything like that. I have had many people tell me about my wheels casuing me not to be able to ride in the wind. Funny, some of them don't even have a bike.

I know my wheels are a lot easier to clean than a set of spokes.:D

The biggest thing I have noticed that contributes to getting blown around is wearing my leather jacket. During the summer, I rode mostly in T shirts. Once it got cooler and I put on the jacket, I really noticed a difference in the wind I was feeling.

I guess it just depends on what accesories are on your bike. I don't run a windshield so maybe that is why the jacket made such a difference.

I also think the weight of the bike helps a lot. While in the Army, I had a Yamaha XT 550, yes I am old. Riding that down the highway and passing a 18 wheeler headon was always exciting, better be holding on.

Just be careful and you should be fine.

Eric

i have a 2006 fatboy and i changed my solid wheel to a diff style of solid wheels. i would have to say that the person riding would cause more drag in the wind then the wheel. i would also like to think that the people that enginer these bike would take solid wheel into fact when buliding them. that may be why they change to crossed drilled wheels in 07 and not the solid but the size of the holes in the new wheel sure would not let alot of air threw. at high speed.

I remember when I first started riding. The wind scared the heck out of me.

Now, I just lean into it or be sure I'm hanging on the the bars. Haven't been blown over yet and I've rode through some good gusts.

Smitty...your bike looks almost identical to my 01. What kind of front turn signals do you have? I want to take mine off of my handlebars. I have front spots already.
harley1.jpg

When the solid wheels in the wind question comes up..and it always does...I was told if you sprayed water from a garden hose at wire wheels spinning at highway speeds...there isn't much water that goes through... I've never tried out the theory but it makes sense.

In a strong cross wind I have always felt it pushing against my body making the bike feel top heavy...have never felt like the bike was going to get blown out from under me.

Back