free website stats program Fatboy upgrade questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy upgrade questions

nmfatboy

I am new to this site and am starting to perform some performance modifications on my 2003 Fatboy. Last night I ordered an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner kit. Already upgraded the exhaust.

Is it worth the money to buy a Power Commander (or something similar) and remap the ignition?

Also, I am thinking about upgrading the cams. I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but not a mechanic. Is this a job I dare do on my own? Or is it worth the money to just take it somehwere and have it done?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Doing cams really isn't that difficult, being it is a 03 I would also look at going to the new style cam plate and oil pump. In regards to a download or mapping system depends on whether your fuel injected or carbbed. Get the manual read it, till you understand and attempt. When in doubt come back and ask or self help, in the search.

I am new to this site and am starting to perform some performance modifications on my 2003 Fatboy. Last night I ordered an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner kit. Already upgraded the exhaust.

Is it worth the money to buy a Power Commander (or something similar) and remap the ignition?

Also, I am thinking about upgrading the cams. I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but not a mechanic. Is this a job I dare do on my own? Or is it worth the money to just take it somehwere and have it done?

Cracked Big Sucker - Harley Davidson Community worth reading before you buy IMO

Not a huge task, but a service manual will clearly tell you how to do it.
Pick/chose your cam carefully, as most folks get bit by the power bug, and want more, afterwards.
A cam that can "grow" with the engine is what I'm refering to.
A good example is a Wood 6, with a 4* advance gear.:s
Scott

Back